• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here like mpl's?

63 posts in this topic

Just curious as to what some of you guys think about the recent sale of the 09vdb proof? $34K+ at FUN!

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile. Nice to be hear and meet all of you...1909mpl.jpg

Welcome to the forum, baja. The mpl's have been climbing in price for a while. They will probably go even higher. I hope you enjoy your visits. Plenty of great, qualified advice here, all you have to do to participate is listen. Cool, huh?

hey tomb, i always play nice...im still there. taking abreak and seeing what its like across the street. i figured might aswell meet some other collectors.

Glad to see a fimilar face.

you believe that 09vdb mpl?

The VDB matte proof has been prohibitively scarce-to-rare for many years, but now that the niche has exploded the coin is going through the roof. I did not examine the Heritage piece in-hand so I cannot tell you how nice it might have been.

Its funny how you always hear about the 09svdb and 14-d,etc. but I never heard so much on the real rarity of that cent. I didnt get to see it in hand, but I do know someone that has, its nice. I never thought it would bring that much. $20k+ yea but $34+ wow.

i have a question for anyone who may have an opinion, if there are around 200 graded 09vdb mpl's, and we have two different figures for the mintage, how many are out there?

some books say you can cherry-pick one, but has anyone? What do you look for?

The one mintage is 420? and the other is 1000+, if 200 are graded, where are they all?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

By the way, you show up as either banned or suspended at PCGS, so I would assume that the break you are taking was one that was suggested by the powers-that-be at PCGS.

yup, the email says they are reviewing it and i have to respond. it may have been the first strike thing. plenty of other people there get into arguments all the time. if it was over that, they should suspened them aswell. all but one of the 3 guys i got into arguments with are know helping me build some nice sets. if they ban me, ill be right back on with an alt, i think its funny.

My opinion is that the camp that believes 420 is the mintage is likely correct, or at least closer, to the actual mintage than the camp that believes 1,000+ pieces were produced and sold. Picking one of these raw might have been possible in the 1950s or 1960s, but this would be a truly special event to happen today. However, one of our members picked a raw 1909 matte proof, listed as an MS coin, from a show last year and I think the coin graded PF64RB by PCGS. If I were to concentrate on trying to pick a raw 1909 VDB matte proof I would look for the die gouges (die scratches) that are immediately in front of the portrait. You may be able to see these scratches directly in front of the tip of the nose in this image-

B1909P65RD.jpg

i can see it. i always leaned to the 420 mintage myself. Whenever I think cherrypicking a coin like this or others, I think about the 69-s ddo. even a 09 mpl as a ms coin is awesome. id love to find one like that.

hey bob. i was so happy to see tomb, now you. this is great. i know i ruffle feathers, ut its my nature. no harm meant.

what ya think about the prices for some of those mpl's?

I don't mind seeing the one's that I have go up, but I hate like he77 seeing the one I don't have going up. That made Curly's 65RB the bargain of the year. And at the time, as one of Curly's 2 underbidders, I thought I was bidding stupid money. And now that bid would barely take the 64BN (and maybe even that wouldn't have).

wow, i dont know what curly got his for, but i have seen it, man is it killer. i was ready to pay up to $15K but thats it. $34 is outta my reach right now. I am happy about pickin up a 65br 1916 from Mr. Wagner though. My best buy yet I think.

I am happy about pickin up a 65br 1916 from Mr. Wagner though. My best buy yet I think.

That is definitely one of the good ones to get, along with the 1915.

still hunting down a nice one. that and a 14,11,10. thats it other than the 09vdb.

i think the 09vdb will be awhile away from gracing my collection.