• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reposted: Stolen Coins $5000 Reward

8 posts in this topic

That sucks. I'd like more info on how/when/where they were stolen. Seems kind of odd that a person would go after both those coins. The $50 is an extreme rarity and hard to move. The 20c is a common coin and can be sold eassily. Too very different coins to take.

You're right, one's hard to move and one's easy to get rid of but for little money. In the former's case I think someone could find a foreign buyer, or just keep it. I would never get involved in that type of [!@#%^&^], but I sure could stand to look at a beautiful piece like that everyday, probably feel guilty though. The other could be cracked, re-slabbed ans re-sold, or sold raw. The Pan-Pac would be very difficult to unload. I hope they weren't stolen by someone who didn't know better and god forbid melted it or something. 893whatthe.gif

Anyone who would ( God Forbid) melt the Pan Pac $50, should be thrown into the smelting oven with the coin. Hopefully, the guilty person will have remorse and return the coin(s) to you. The other coin is common enough, but it has quite a few distinctive markers, so it may show up later on as a raw coin. I hope you sent digitized images to all the grading services to keep a look out.

Sorry for your loss.

From the descriptions, it seems like the 20C could be altered enough to be gone forever. The $50 could be dipped, but it would have to be "marked up" in order to change it enough.

That's sure a crappy thing. Unfortunately I haven't seen them, though I am not likely to have seen them either. I guess it also brings up the unfortunate topic of where our collections originate, and what would happen if we unknowingly bought a stolen coin. I just bought a common date Saint for my set from eBay, and heaven forbid, what would happen if I found out the coin was stolen? With registries and such, it's a lot easier to track, but I would certainly hate to be the one left holding the bag on such a thing!

At the local show, I spent a long time talking to one of the good guy dealers, who had just gotten back from a neighboring police station where he had ben ID'ing his coins in the evidence room. He said the threesome (two young men and a young woman) routinely walked the bourse at shows and looked at the displays, picking out what they wanted. They picked up a business card from his table that included his home phone. According to police, they did a reverse search on the phone# and got his home address. They robbed his home at gunpoint, taking his safe, his loose coins, and a suitcase full of coins, including many of his wife's Conder tokens. $160,000 in all. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but I thought the story a useful warning. Before the coins were recovered, he identified over 60 being sold raw on ebay by various sellers.

Anyone know if PCGS and/or NGC keep a list of reportedly stolen coins (slab id numbers)? If the thief in this case were afraid to remove the panpac from the holder due it's value but rather submitted it to the other grading service pcgs in this case, would pcgs be able to and would they check their records to see if a coin had been reported as stolen in the past? I know this is asking a lot of them and they may choose not to ask but fundamentally this seems like a good idea.