• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YIKES Dansco toning

13 posts in this topic

I pulled out my Dansco Kennedy album to add some more coins and noticed that several of my proofs are beginning to tone. hm The 00 and 01 are the most noticeable but many more are beginning to "brown" in the album. Should I be concerned? Should I give them a dip in acetone or just let it ride and see what happens? What would you do and why? Thanks for the input :cool:

I will try some pictures tomorrow with sunlight as my efforts this evening weren't worth posting :blush:

Generally, the color of brown on contemporary coins doesn't conjure up images of beauty and grace.

Just what I was thinking when I read this. "Dansco toning" - a bit generic although I understand the term. And what will that now-brown toning turn into? Would be a good place for someone with more experience being able to discuss whay they have seen with Kennedy halves in a Dansco album. What color did they start and what did they turn into? Did the 64's react differenlty than the 40% or the non-silver? What was the environment like (temperature/humidity). Etc. Actually a fascinating topic.

I have a set of these in a Dansco. It's been there 10+ years and I still keep it up to date. Nothing special as far as storage. Temperature about 70 and not sure where the humidity was but it was fairly low.

Most all of the coins have just a hint of gold tone. The 90%, the silver clads, the SMS and clads all have this look. The 40% look like the day they were made, no toning at all.

Acetone wouldn't hurt the coins, so there's no harm in trying it.

It won't hurt the coins but it won''t remove the toning either.

Paul

Paul is right. A dip will remove the toning but unless there's another issue with the coins, the acetone won't really do much of anything. If this is a golden tone coming out on these, I would think that it would only improve. I have some coins that have Dansco toned and look pretty good.

I pulled out my Dansco Kennedy album to add some more coins and noticed that several of my proofs are beginning to tone. hm The 00 and 01 are the most noticeable but many more are beginning to "brown" in the album. Should I be concerned? Should I give them a dip in acetone or just let it ride and see what happens? What would you do and why? Thanks for the input :cool:

Really the only answer to this is - Are you feeling lucky? Modern proofs can tone really ugly, but there's a chance that it might come out cool. Also, if you dip it then there's always the chance that the toning will just come back.

I keep my proofs in lock-tites for this very reason..I don't like my proofs to tone, I like them extra frosty and highly reflective with mirrored fields...I like the gold toning on my business strikes though..