• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy New Year Everyone! Pictures of my Box of 20. CAUTION Dial-uppers!

13 posts in this topic

Best Wishes to everyone for a HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!! :hi::foryou:

The good Lord willing, I would never go to a Box of 20, however I do find it an interesting intellectual exercise. In my case it was relatively easy to get to a Box of 30, getting down to 25 fairly difficult, and getting to 20, particularly the last 2 or 3 coins, was a b1tch. I tried to get a mix of both my favorite series, Franklins, and a variety of other series. This mix caused me to drop some of my favorite coins, but if I was stuck on a desert island somewhere with just this Box it would be much more satisfying. Some basic statistics (they don't add up to 20 as certain categories overlap), 5 of the coins are Franklins, 5 coins are in rattlers and many should comfortably upgrade, 6 are from 1958 (my birthyear), 7 are Cameo proofs, and 10 are toners. The TPG's are split 10 NGC and 10 PCGS. While my 3 most valueable coins are included, 7 coins cost less than $1,000, and a wide variety of my most expensive coins do not show up here, which I think indicates something nice about coin collecting.

The images were taken by Bob Campbell, Shane Canup, Laura DeFalco, Jim Green, Bruce Lee, and R & I Coins. The 3 proofs from 1958 are all clean for their grade, what may look like haze or milkspots in their images are artifacts of imaging, they don't exist. While I've generally moved from cents to dollars I have switched the last few coins around to highlight some favorites. I hope you enjoy these coins.

NGC PR67UCAM

Lincoln58N67UcamObv.jpgLincoln58N67UcamRev.jpg

NGC MS66*5FS

Jefferson44D_N665FS.jpg

NGC PR69UCAM

Roosevelt58N69UCam.jpg

PCGS PR64 (Rattler, would probably grade PR65 Cameo/DCAM today).

SeatedLQ86PR64.jpg

PCGS MS66 (This was a tough choice, it came down to this coin or a 1958-D PCGS MS67 toner Washington).

1924DObvSmB20.jpg1924DRev1SmB20.jpg

NGC AU55 (the stuff on the reverse at 6 o'clock is on the slab).

SLAR53_N55_485ObvSm.jpgSLAR53_N55_485RevSm.jpg

NGC PR64CAMEO (The scratches you see, particularly on the obverse, are on the slab).

BarberHalf92_64cam_1600.jpg

NGC MS65*

758_N65_1840.jpg

NGC MS64* (This was a tough choice as it came down to this and a green/teal reverse toner 1886 NGC MS66*).

1162_64_BruceL.jpg

NGC MS65*PL

1300_65PL_5290_8000_BruceL.jpg

PCGS MS64 (Rattler. This coin may upgrade to 65 today. This was a hard choice between this coin and a 1923 NGC MS65 toner).

Peace21_64.jpg

PCGS PR67UCAM

1958fr67dcam2obv.jpg1958fr67dcam2rev.jpg

PCGS MS65FBL (I would put a NGC MS67* 1952-S here, but I don't have a decent picture of it, and this '58 is a nice coin).

Franklin58P65FBL.jpg

PCGS MS66FBL

Franklin58DP66fbl_450.jpg

PCGS MS66

Franklin60P66_895.jpg

PCGS PR65 (Rattler. Would CAMEO today, may go PR66. The white flecks in the fields are artifacts of imaging, they don't exist).

Morgan93PR65.jpg

NGC PR66CAMEO

sh1938wlh1.jpg

NGC MS66*

CottonCandyObv2B20.jpgCottonCandyReverseB20.jpg

PCGS MS63 (Rattler. Would easily upgrade today. The scratch over the 50 on the reverse is on the holder).

CappedBust29MS63.jpg

PCGS MS61 (Silver dollar. Rattler. Would easily upgrade today. The shield is well struck, the haze there is an artifact of imaging).

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

Well, now I need to buy a new computer with all the droll that came out of my mouth and maybe a new desk.

Those are awesome coins.

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

:takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit: :takeit:

I'm glad you not only went through your coins to pick your Bo20, but that you also took the time to share them with us. Obviously, the various imaging techniques make it near impossible to compare the coins as well as we might like, but I think my favorites are the 1886 Morgan, 1921 Peace and 1958-D Franklin. This is a cool thread.

OH MY GREAT COINS (worship) (worship) (worship)^^ ^^

Ditto! There's something there for everyone! I especially like the Bust half but ALL are incredible! <3