• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pocket change Satin or Business strikes

6 posts in this topic

I was looking at my jefferson dansco as I was updating it with a couple pocket change nickels. I happened to notice that my 2004P Keelboat was Satin Finish and the D was a Business Strike. These were from pocket change. I thought that the Satin Finish only came from mint sets. Are there Satin Finishes in circulation??

Satin Finish started in 2005. There are many 2004 coins that have the satin finish appearance, but that might be due to the Mint testing the finish in 2004 or just normal strikes.

As for 2005+, the Mint supposedly uses the satin finish dies to strike circulation coins after they have outlived their mint set lives. Collectors also spend the coins from the sets. I spent the coins that did not meet my minimum grade at the TPG.

I guess they just have the appearance of satin. I know there is quite a difference in the finish between the two coins. Thanks ya'll.