• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is anyone making hobby related resolutions for 2008?

24 posts in this topic

Actually, I prefer to call it setting goals, since resolutions seem to be frequently broken. Among the things that I would like to accomplish in the next year are:

1) Acquire as much knowledge as possible about areas that interest me and numismatic subjects in general. This is an area in which I am woefully lacking - something I am reminded of every time I log on to these boards. Fortunately, there are plenty here who don't mind sharing their knowledge and expertise, and for that, I am grateful.

2) Along that same line, I intend to increase the size of my reference library

3) Add signifcantly to my Roosevelt and token collections. These are two areas where prices, for the most part, are well within my range, which makes collecting them that much more enjoyable.

4) Buy at least one pre-1800 coin. Preferrably raw, so that I can hold it in my hand and marvel at it whenever I want. I have never owned anything that old, although I have wanted to for some time. This, of course, will be after I have learned a lot more about them.

5) Try to develope a good relationship with a reputable and honest dealer. This may not be easy, as there are no B&M stores where I live, and coin shows in MS are few and far between.

6) Improve my photography skill and equipment so that when I finally post a picture, it won't look like it was taken through dirty water during an earthquake.

7) Acquire at least one pattern. This is another series that totally fascinates me - and another area that I need to learn a lot more about.

8) Spend as much time as possible monitoring these boards - where you folks have made me feel at home, and have helped me more than you know.

God Bless, and Have a Safe, Healthy, Happy, and Prosperous New Year!!

Would any one else like to post their resolutions/goals?

1) Finish my Silver Eagle set by 5/26/08. This means I will have completed building the set in 1 year.

2) Continue Building my Lincoln cent set in advance of 2009.

3) Work on and possibly finish my 20th century type set and then expand into other and older type sets.

4) Add more gold coins to my collection

5) Complete my 1955 year set in the grades that I want.

Is anyone making hobby related resolutions for 2008?

Yes! One of mine is to go ahead and plunge into a Walker short-set, but I'm going to probably do 1936 - 1947, rather than the more traditional 1941 - 1947.

1. I will try not to be a collectoarder!

2. I will try to find a camera that is klutz-proof.

3. I will try not to be lured into collecting by Registry.

4. I will try not to be tempted to ask Dena, in October, about the NGC Luncheon in January.

5. I will try to refrain from becoming emotionally involved in lost causes on the boards.

Chris

1. No more impulse purchases!

2. Buy more raw coins. I've started doing this recently, and I find that I get much more joy out of raw coins versus slabbed ones.

3. Fill them Danscos'!

4. HAVE FUN!

1. Replace proof and mint sets that I used to fill my Dansco's.

2. Add one of the three coins missing from my 1870 proof set (Dime, Half, or Dollar)

3) Continue to fill my Dansco's

4) Buy more reference books.

5) Add to my 1870 Mint set.

my 3 goals for 2008.............

1. Add 20 ship themed coins to my collection (instead of 74 like in 2007)

2. Get the last 3 "full skirt line" Walkers for my short set

3. Continue building my Barber Half set with coins graded F12-VF20( they still look nice for a worn coin in these grades)

4.....stop going off on tangents and impulse buying..........

Don't spend more than I budgeted on my hobbies (coins and photography). :whistle:
:signfunny::roflmao:

Every year I voy not to exceed my budget and my budget is always busted after my first Baltimore Show. Since I am planning on going to the National Money Show in Phoenix, I hold no hope of staying within my budget! :wishluck:

Scott :hi:

Don't spend more than I budgeted on my hobbies (coins and photography). :whistle:

Every year I voy not to exceed my budget and my budget is always busted after my first Baltimore Show. Since I am planning on going to the National Money Show in Phoenix, I hold no hope of staying within my budget! :wishluck:

Scott, there is one way that will enable you to keep your resolution. After you have promised not to exceed your budget, don't bother to make a budget plan. :devil:

Chris

First and foremost my main goal is to truly determine the direction I want to go with our collection both with existing coins and future acquisitions. I am currently in a state of "flux" should we say and need to better define my goals and objectives related to coin collecting.

Things I have identified to accomplish this year are:

1. Complete my Liberty Head Dime set with a 1916D and a non-cleaned 1921D and transfer from Whitman to Dansco as well as sell/trade all duplicates/triplicates etc.

2. Complete my Lincoln Cent Set with a 1909 S VDB and transfer from Whitman to Dansco as well as sell/trade all duplicates/triplicates.

3. Send off for grading a few key Franklins from my set.

4. Send off for grading a few key Washington Quarters for grading and dream about replacing my cleaned 36 S.

5. Begin looking for replacements for a few cleaned Peace Dollars from my set.

6. Transfer my Jefferson Set from Capitol Plastic to Dansco album.

7. Transfer my Silver Roosies from Capitol Plastic to Dansco album and sell/trade all non-silver Roosies.

8. Crossover a few key coins currently in ANACS holders to either NGC or PCGS.

9. Expand my Early Commemorative Set as my budget allows.

10. Catalogue and identify grading candidates from my Soveriegn Collection.

11. Determine what US Classic Gold and Silver to sell/trade in an effort to "re-define" my collection.

12. Decide what direction I want to go with my US Classic Gold and Silver.

13. Sell/trade my duplicates and triplicates of US/Canadian Mint and Proof Sets.

14. Re-Image all coins that need it.

15. Work diligently to populate My Registry Sets with Images, etc.

16. Finally drive to the country and meet Bob (Supertooth) and gain as much common sense related to coin collecting as possible......and hopefully somehow meet Tom and do the same. Thanks Guys, here is to a New Year.

17. Sell/trade my Kennedy Half Collection.

18. Continue to expand my rairoad coin/medal collection concentrating on older pieces.

(Damn, I just now realized that I have set my self up for a busy year, oh well at least I am making progress I hope.)

(Damn, I just now realized that I have set my self up for a busy year, oh well at least I am making progress I hope.)

Are you sure you didn't mean "5-year plan", Rey?

Chris

My plans for 2008:

• Reduce my inventory. Way to much cash tied up in inventory that I just don't have the time to sell. Cut it down by at least 2/3.
  • Sell all the coins that bodybagged or are problem coins that I got in big deals. Sell all the partial rolls and sets. All the lower value non-slab worthy coins that are lying around. I've been dumping them in a boxes and I'm over flowing with coins. Everything needs to go.
  • Thin out my personal collection. Really thin it out well. Sell all the lower grade coins. Sell everything that I don't love or that is not irreplaceable. This will give me significant cash to do some bigger deals that I've been passing on.
  • Finally get all my raw coins submitted to TPG so I can sell them. About 1,000-1,500 coins remaining to be submitted.
  • Change my business model to work more on lower profit, but non-time consuming bulk items rather that higher profit, but very time consuming individual items.
  • Get at least one super coin for my collection. Not sure what it will be, perhaps a Gobrecht $1, an AU/Unc Bust $1, an early US gold piece, an ancient, or perhaps a really rare Taler. Who knows, but it'll be something nice.

read more specialized numismatic books on usa federal coinage

learn more about state colonial notes from the revolutionary war era

learn more about pre federal state colonial coinage

learn more about obsolete new york state notes especially uncut sheets of these state notes

meet more collector friends

introduce more new collectors to the hobby

pare down my collection by offering some on the boards in the marketplace section

Scott, there is one way that will enable you to keep your resolution. After you have promised not to exceed your budget, don't bother to make a budget plan. :devil:

Chris

Oh sure... that's easy for you to say. My wife wants me to keep to a budget! So what do I do? I put a bid on a great coin for one of my registry sets. There goes January's budget!!

Oh sure... that's easy for you to say. My wife wants me to keep to a budget! So what do I do? I put a bid on a great coin for one of my registry sets. There goes January's budget!!

:roflmao:

Chris

Okay then, in the future just tell her, "Yes, honey, I did!"................Now, where in the heck did I put that thing?

or.................

Tell her that it has been impossible for you to stick to an unrealistic budget, and she must get a third job.

Chris

Some really great goals on here for 2008. Mine are, in no particular order

Finish my Morocco French Protectorate set and begin upgrading (I only need one more coin)

Continue work on French Colonial sets.

Continue work on Franklin set.

Scan my entire collection ( I just bought a new scanner, it is much easier than trying to learn to photograph even if it doesn't look as good)

Buy a new hard drive to fit all the pictures ;)

Expand my reference library beyond just the basics.

I have no goals other that I would like to add either a MS 32 D or 32 S Washington. If a nice 36 D comes along (Hint Hint TomB) I would jump at the chance. A 35 D would be nice as well.

4. Send off for grading a few key Washington Quarters for grading and dream about replacing my cleaned 36 S.

Why Dream? This coin should be replacable if you so choose. Maybe you can coax me out of my 2nd one. I have two of these.

My resolution is to stay focused on what I am trying to collect and quit buying just random coins that I like. This will be a tough task for me.

Why Dream? This coin should be replacable if you so choose. Maybe you can coax me out of my 2nd one. I have two of these.

Hmmmm, Bruce, maybe we need to talk.

Rey

I have no goals other that I would like to add either a MS 32 D or 32 S Washington. If a nice 36 D comes along (Hint Hint TomB) I would jump at the chance. A 35 D would be nice as well.

I've got a really nice 36D I got at a pawn shop. I paid $1 for it.

Before you have a heart attack, it might grade AG-3, if you're lucky.