• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this three cent silver?

13 posts in this topic

I know the pictures are poor but the coin isn't mine and I can't get better ones. You can tell the coin is in a PCGS slab so maybe the better question is what do you think PCGS graded the coin. Feel free to answer both as well as you can from the images. :grin:

50059-1862obv.jpg.fd45ed2f8e6e31d7414aca6e2c96b1d9.jpg

50060-1862rev.jpg.79fbb67c3bb4b4f5e0a81f7c955e4f97.jpg

I agree with Mike that it is at least an AU coin but this coin is struck so poorly it would be hard to grade it any higher without inhand evidence. What did PCGS grade the coin?

It looks weak struck to me although the most common dates for being weak struck are from 1854-1858. Considering this is weak struck, I will go with AU50.

The first thing that got my attention to this coin was the grade, since it is one that is not often seen. Considering the grade I have to agree with most that this is a weakly struck coin. In fact, I don't remember seeing a trime with a weaker strike. It does give the impression of a bent coin, as James suggested, in that bent coins often show similar weakness where the wear is concentrated near the bend. But the wear on this one is on both sides at about the same location, which is not what you see on a bent coin.

I can only guess that in hand the coin would have decent luster and no signs of wear. I suppose a coin this weak couldn't really be graded any higher. Mike pretty much nailed it, at least as well as anyone could from these images.

Personally, I'd rather have a nicely struck VF over this coin. In case anyone is interested, this coin is currently on ebay and is actually getting healthy bids. I guess those old green holders always have undergraded coins in them. ;)

1862 three cent silver

50079-1862slab.jpg.0f2969267a20566d18d50ea541680b58.jpg

From the auction:

Recently aquired from an estate, this is an 1862 3 Cent Silver. MS 60. Graded by PCGS in an old green holer. No problems. Complete original. Beautiful detail both obverse and reverse. Nice color. Please review scans. Free from distractions. Outstanding strike. No dings, scratches or any improprieties whatsoever.

From the auction:

Recently aquired from an estate, this is an 1862 3 Cent Silver. MS 60. Graded by PCGS in an old green holer. No problems. Complete original. Beautiful detail both obverse and reverse. Nice color. Please review scans. Free from distractions. Outstanding strike. No dings, scratches or any improprieties whatsoever.

Thanks. I meant to point that out. However, I do think the strike is outstanding. It sure caught my attention.