• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are TPG Graders Interchangeable?

21 posts in this topic

With the recent firing of all the ANACS graders, I'm wondering this. Suppose you woke up tomorrow and found out that all the NGC graders decided to leave and would now grade for ANACS.

1) Do you think that NGC could maintain their same high standards that they had with this prior set of graders?

2) Would you feel differently about NGC now that they had all new graders that were perhaps a little more unknown to you, but still excellent graders?

3) Would you feel differently about ANACS knowing that they had all new graders from a perceived better TPG?

4) What would you feel if all the ex-ANACS graders went to NGC and the ex-NGC graders went to ANACS? (The two companies swapped graders, but everything else was the same).

I'll wait and see is not an answer. ;)

Is this true? that all the ANACS graders were fired? Please tell me more about this.

I don't think exchanging the ANACS graders for NGC or PCGS graders would necessarily make much of a difference, because I don't believe the graders operate on their own, and have to follow company guidelines.

edited to add: I didn't see your other post...nevermind.

First, I would want to know why they were fired. Were they too loose in giving out grades or vice versa? Did they lack the ability to net grade properly? Were they too inconsistent in variety attribution? I find it hard to believe that all could be lacking the skills needed for the job. It seems to me that management has to share some of the blame for whatever caused this to happen. Was it a mass mutiny? Were they given the opportunity to move to Colorado, but all of them declined?

There are too many unanswered questions at this point to speculate on what the future may hold in store for the former ANACS employees, and I surely wouldn't speculate about NGC's future with or without these (now available) graders because I don't know anything about NGC's internal policies, controls and training programs.

Chris

I could care less. If I don't agree with the grade of a coin I won't have it in my inventory - either it will be liquidated on the sight unseen market or off to a TPG for a higher grade.

The CDN published how the major grading services coins are bid in the bluesheet (CCDN) via the "Coin Market Indicator." Granted, these are sight unseen bids but if TPG A is 83% on average (CCDN vs CDN) and TPG C is 56% on average that should tell you something. Since the CDN essentially defines Greysheet Bid as a sight seen bid for accurately graded coins (slabbed or raw) I basically view the above percentages (or who's holder the coin is in) as meangingless, especially for retail. However, I do discount coins if there is room to give clients a break.

Whats key to me is do I agree with the coin's grade as defined by the TPG. And here's the catch - TPG's may come and go or be replaced by some other grading system / medium of exchange. Its the coin itself that will have to stand on its own merits.

I'm sure that time will tell what's in store for all the graders. I'm also sure that if all the ANACS graders were fired and then were hired by another TPG, that they would have to meet that TPG's qualifications to be able to do thier job properly and up to that TPG's standards.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

But think of this

Mr X is president of a corporation but doesn't own it

Mr X is at odds with the employees and the owners who essentially override him

Mr X leaves said company

Mr X buys said company and fires the whole arshole bunch of them

goodriddance you molons!!!

now...let's bring this company up to standards!!!!

and it will invariably happen.

I look forward to the new ANACS

I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

But think of this

Mr X leaves said company

goodriddance you molons!!!

Mark hasn't spoken much on this subject... Niether has TDN.. hm

Could we be seeing the begining of the CACANACS...

Well that ought to bring some new life to this thread.. :baiting:

I'm disappointed to hear that ANACS may be in turmoil..I happen to like their coins for the prices...I have found lots of hidden gems that crossed over or upgraded when sent to NGC or PCGS....and a heck of a lot cheaper in some cases..

Mark hasn't spoken much on this subject... Niether has TDN..

I have no opinion on the subject matter - Anacs is irrelevant to me. Don't think I've ever bought a coin in one of their holders and doubt I ever will. Maybe if a chopmarked trade dollar I wanted came along...

I'm not sure it matters since personnel seem to go back and forth, and at least in the early years most of the PCGS and NGC graders received their training at ANACS and went from there to the other two services.

But think of this

Mr X leaves said company

good riddance you molons!!!

But it would not surprise me if Taylor hasn't alienated himself for the whole group at ICG (abandoning them not once but twice), And I'm sure he has alienated everyone at ANACS (Moves them all to Texas, points the company in a direction that many people think is wrong and then leaves. Then comes back a fires EVERYBODY.) Now the labor pool of "world class" quality graders is rather limited and he has potentially ticked off a lot of them. Most of the others are already employed either at his competitors, or as dealers. So who is he going to hire as graders to bring the company up to standard?

But it would not surprise me if Taylor hasn't alienated himself for the whole group at ICG (abandoning them not once but twice), And I'm sure he has alienated everyone at ANACS (Moves them all to Texas, points the company in a direction that many people think is wrong and then leaves. Then comes back a fires EVERYBODY.) Now the labor pool of "world class" quality graders is rather limited and he has potentially ticked off a lot of them. Most of the others are already employed either at his competitors, or as dealers. So who is he going to hire as graders to bring the company up to standard?

People need to think this thru from a business stance.

Question: You just purchased a company likely for several million dollars. You fire all your key employees who are not easy to replace. You move the company close to a place where you used to work which also has these same highly in demand key employees. Why do you do this?

Answer: Because you already have new key employees lined up and committed to you.

That's the only logical reason I can think of. It would be business suicide to fire all your hard to replace key employees without having replacements lined up.

Many of the ICG graders are going to ANACS. It's the only thing that makes sense. He's got a commitment from at least one of the big two and probably several others.

If that turns out to be true, it may or may not turn around ANACS, and it could deliver a crippling blow to ICG. The end result could be a lowering of both services. Unless ICG can replace the graders quickly and with quality people. (Hey there just happens to be a group of such people in Austin TX, and they are available!)

I too would be interested in finding out more about the letting go of the ANACS graders.

Rey

ANACS Packed up and left Texas. In the process all the people were let go. Sad story!

I too would be interested in finding out more about the letting go of the ANACS graders.

Rey

ANACS Packed up and left Texas. In the process all the people were let go. Sad story!

ANACS's website still has them in Austin. hm

Scott :hi:

The only advantages ANACS had over other services was their very convenient small holders and attribution - with the small holders being easily the biggest of the two advantages. Dumping those small capsules in favor of the hideously ugly slabs they have now was literally the dumbest thing they ever did.

I have no interest in using ANACS until they bring back that small holder.

I mailed a package to ANACS in Texas last week. I also payed for a delivery confirmation. I checked the UPS website and my package wa deleivered to ANACS on the 24th of December.

I checked the UPS website and my package wa deleivered to ANACS on the 24th of December.

I believe the firings took place on the 26th, and I'm sure they will have some people still on staff to accept packages in Texas while they pack up and get moved to Colorado. They did that when they moved from Ohio to Texas. Eventually they will pull those last folks out or their termination date will arrive and after that point all of the mail will just be forwarded to Colorado. They can't forward it yet because they don't have staff setup yet in Colorado to accept it.

Another poster published the information on the Website that claims that all coins were sent to Colorado in an armored truck and submission and shipping will begin again on the 2nd of January so I guess you could say trhe coins will be shipped next year. A little tongue in cheek.

Thnsk for the info.