• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My coins returned for Christmas... A pic of the bagged 85 O ,

13 posts in this topic

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like an old dip and some sort of sulfer deposits around the edges? The shades of blue and heavy look to the edge toning looks suspect, maybe heat induced?
It was bagged as Obv. Improperly cleaned..

If they thought it were AT I think they would have bagged it for that..

I'd guess improperly cleaned. The obverse appears to have Mint State sharpness, but the coin is very dull. It appears that there is no luster under the toning, which indicates that the mint surface has been removed or impairted.

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like an old dip and some sort of sulfer deposits around the edges? The shades of blue and heavy look to the edge toning looks suspect, maybe heat induced?
It was bagged as Obv. Improperly cleaned..

If they thought it were AT I think they would have bagged it for that..

That very well may be the case as I recall from the answer to a question I asked a while back:

Hi Broc:

Thanks for your questions....

...In most cases of coins that cannot be graded, the most severe problem is noted on the tag. Our graders do note multiple problems on occasion. There are coins, to my understanding, that are artificially toned to hide surface problems such as improper cleaning. A coin described as artificially toned, and not graded by NGC, may also be improperly cleaned without being noted on the No Grade tag.

Although it does sound like if the cleaning outweighed possible AT they might mention the cleaning and leave it at that. I know many submitters agree it would be wonderful to get a full synopsis of problems on a BB coin for the price paid for that flip and insert.

Either way, at least, it appears that coin must be a looker in hand. Happy Holidays!

There are several parallel horizontal lines, most notably across the cheak which would lead me to say improperly cleaned.

I would agree as seen when Isolated from the rest of the coin. ..

49914-1.jpg.67d8ac71f546ecd86500bbdca687a366.jpg

There are several parallel horizontal lines, most notably across the cheak which would lead me to say improperly cleaned.

I agree here also with the small hairlines showing up and also looks like it's been dipped. As stated before, the TPG's really frown on the hairlines.