• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MPL/Copper color changes

34 posts in this topic

I see similarities in the toning among the following three coins that might be noteworthy. But I don't know whether or not any lessons learned can be applied to matte proof Lincolns due to the different finish of their surfaces, i.e., matte instead of highly polished dies.

1578_comparison.jpg

1913gtzcomp-1.jpg

1913gtzmcomp-1.jpg

J632comparison.jpg

Mike

I really have no idea how the coin was stored or how it acquired its toning. I have owned it for a little over three years and it looks the same today as the day I bought it.

I will say that I have seen quite a few brilliant proof copper patterns with similar toning and there are a couple in the upcoming Heritage auction that I suspect will look similar based on the online auction images. Curiosly they are both proof 67 bn coins and from the same year as my coin? I guess it is possible they spent a few years in the same coin cabinet? I am looking forward to examining them in hand.

Mark

Perhaps they are the same coins without anything done to them, but the pictures were taken at different angles with different lighting?

Don't you know the answer to that question based on seeing one or more of the coins in person? Edited to add: I'm assuming that your comment refers to the pictures posted by Mike in the post immediately preceding yours. I went back to check the posts from 1 1/2 years ago, and those were your coins. Are you suggesting now -- in contradiction to your earlier posts -- that the blue tone is the result of pictures "taken at different angles with different lighting"?

It's not like you to duck a question. :baiting: