• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New photo style...

29 posts in this topic

So yesterday I went out and bought a flash for my Canon 30D. I got the 430EX, which I might add is a killer flash to match a killer camera. Anyhow I have always heard flashes and coins do not mix so I did not even think of shooting coins with it. I had got it for other uses. Anyhow being the person I am I got to fiddling with it. Using 2 OTT lights and my flash here is the new photo.

tmdn.jpg

I own what I call 3 toners. 2 Major and 1 minor. Of the 3 this is my favorite by far. While I enjoy the other 2 this one is just wow for me. The image gives you all this coin has to offer. I am glad I did not sell the coin when I was made a rediculus offer. I think I will be holding on to this one for the long run.

I have experimented with using the flash on my camera and believe it can be compatible with imaging coins. However, I have found that it really messes with the "auto adjust" function, and the images sometimes seem way oversaturated.

This is a good experiment! Please keep us apprised of your progress!

Bruce, by the way, I am mailing a package back to you tomorrow.

Nice photo Bruce. I know by personal experience that the only way to keep the glare from the slab is to have the slab tilted away from the flash. Unless you have the OTT lights set in a certain position, you'll lose both luster and color. I think you are on the right track in that there is some great color, but the luster has not quite caught up to it. This is not to be critical, because I think it is an Outstanding image. (thumbs u Believe me I know how difficult it is to capture a 3-D object (with different characteristics in each and every movement) in a 2-D world. It borders on the impossible.

but the saturation/contrast looks a bit over-the-top to me.

I know that from viewing and imaging several of Sy's BC Morgan's that Bruce's image is far from over-the-top. Under certain lighting conditions the colors can become even more vibrant and iridescent. The trick is to capture it, which Bruce is very close to doing.

Great photo Bruce,as always,keep us posted on progress. I would be interested on how this combo works on brilliant proofs. (thumbs u

I will have to try it out.

That is a very, very nice photo, but the saturation/contrast looks a bit over-the-top to me.

Mike most of the time I would agree with you. But this coin really has those colors on it. Stunning!

Nice photo Bruce. I know by personal experience that the only way to keep the glare from the slab is to have the slab tilted away from the flash. Unless you have the OTT lights set in a certain position, you'll lose both luster and color. I think you are on the right track in that there is some great color, but the luster has not quite caught up to it. This is not to be critical, because I think it is an Outstanding image. (thumbs u Believe me I know how difficult it is to capture a 3-D object (with different characteristics in each and every movement) in a 2-D world. It borders on the impossible.

Bob with this flash, it has about 30 positions. The flash is soo stong I was able to nearly have it at a 90 degree angle to the slab and still get a good effect.

Great photos Bruce. I would guess that the OTT lites must be off-setting the glare of the flash when taken huh?

The flash was not aimed onto the slab. The OTT lights were set sideways as to say the lined up with the camera.

I have experimented with using the flash on my camera and believe it can be compatible with imaging coins. However, I have found that it really messes with the "auto adjust" function, and the images sometimes seem way oversaturated.

This is a good experiment! Please keep us apprised of your progress!

Bruce, by the way, I am mailing a package back to you tomorrow.

James normally I would say a photo like this looks a bit oversaturated, but the coin in question is really those colors in hand with good light. Hell even in the dark you can see those colors. They are just caked on the coin!

That is a very, very nice photo, but the saturation/contrast looks a bit over-the-top to me.

Mike most of the time I would agree with you. But this coin really has those colors on it. Stunning!

Just so we're clear....

My concern is not limited to the color of the coin, which as you point out is very stunning (and I believe you!), but rather the overall contrast and saturation of the photo (including the insert which is what gave it away to me).

That said, it could partially be due to the camera you use (Canon 30D, IIRC), which tends to err on the saturated side, and my opinion is just that -- and quite subjective. I also fully realize that I'm splitting hairs here (and am a bit of a photo-purist)....but answer me this: Have you manipulated the color or contrast at all either in-camera or in post processing?

Again, great photos & thanks for sharing...Mike

Here is what I did. Took the photo. Cropped it out. Fixed the contrast just a tad. Posted the photo. Just for the sake of it here is the same photo with the color juiced...

First photo

tmdn.jpg

Juiced photo

tmdn3.jpg

Here is what I did. Took the photo. Cropped it out. Fixed the contrast just a tad. Posted the photo. Just for the sake of it here is the same photo with the color juiced...

AHA!

You do realize that contrast enhancement (even minor ones) tweaks color/saturation, don't you?

I believe this contrast enhancement (along with the naturally saturated colors that come out of the 30D) are what I was seeing/commenting on.

Again, it is just a matter of taste, and I am admittedly a bit of a photography purist when it comes to color and contrast. Regardless, those photos are excellent and ones I would be proud to have taken...Mike

p.s. as an aside, sharpening does the same thing -- sharpening is nothing more than local contrast enhancement.

AHA!

You do realize that contrast enhancement tweaks saturation, don't you?

But to be fair the first time around taking photos of this coin I also used a bit of contrast fixing. I do realize the saturation does get tweaked a bit, but should not distract from the fact the coin is as real to life it can be givin good light. The main thing is I can back the camera up more and let more light in, thus giving the luster more play in the photo. Luster + color = Great photo. Luster with no color or color with no luster makes for a photo that just does not capture it all.

For reference.. Old shot... Color is close, but no luster... Looks dull if you ask me..

moose4.jpg

If you want to see over the top photos go to ANACONDA'S sight, they are basically characterizations or color cartoons of the actual coin enhanced to make the coin look appealing to the general public.

If you want to see over the top photos go to ANACONDA'S sight, they are basically characterizations or color cartoons of the actual coin enhanced to make the coin look appealing to the general public.

I happen to disagree a bit. Sure they have some very colorful images, but givin the right light those colors are there. Brandon is one of the best imagers in the business. I would surely use him if I had some coins to image. You may not like his style of images, but they are far from cartoons. Have you ever seen the coins in hand? I got a chance to look over thier inventory and I remembered a few of the coins from the site. They were really close to life with the images. Just what I have seen from them.