• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading procedure at different TPG's and Tiers Question

6 posts in this topic

I am wondering after seeing some post about how a grader looks at a coin for 15-20 seconds and then moves on, if this is standard procedure for all graders grading all coins, or is there a difference based on the tier in which the coin is submitted.

In other words, would a grader spend less time grading an economy submission, and also assume that a coin is a lower grade if submitted as such compared with someone who pays the full fee for the standard tier? Does the tier submitted impact the grade?

If I were to submit a coin that could go XF and be worth $300, but the coin could also be AU and worth $600, but I submitted the coin under economy based on it being worth $300, would I be more likely to have the coin graded XF to fit the tier? Does submitting under a particular tier based on coin value add a potential bias just as submitting a slabbed coin for crossover potentially add a bias?

There may be a couple of different issues here, but I would love to here opinions in the hope of a little better understanding of the whole process and what graders are thinking.

I would agree with carl here, unless, there are bins or stacks of coins in specific locations as to determine which need to be graded sooner than others due to teir!

My guess is that graders know what tier the coins are submitted under - for example, a 24 hour "walk-through" must be segregated differently from an "economy" submission - but beyond that, they don't know the precise insured values involved.

When I graded at NGC, I and other graders were likely to spend extra time and/or debate on a given coin because of the coin itself, rather than what tier it was submitted under. Believe it or not, a difference of opinion regarding a low value coin could be just as heated as one over the grade of a very valuable coin.

I have been told that the graders do know the tier that they are grading based on the color of the boxes. However, that may not hold true for all TPG.

The grader is not likely to give you a lower grade just because the coin is submitted on a lower cost tier. Some of my biggest winners have come on the low cost tiers.

I appreciate the comments guys. Hopefully there will be more. I am thinking along the lines of eliminating bias for my future submissions. I can't help but think that there is bias when submitting a slabbed coin for crossover. But what bothers me the most is someone glancing at a coin for 15 seconds. There is no way someone can get a feel for strike, luster, and originality of early type in a 15 second time span, I don't care who they are. I say this because it looks to me like these TPG's love dipped coins, for it makes luster more visible, and shows whatever may be hidden by originality. Strike characteristics are another whole issue, but figuring out strike takes more than 15 seconds alone.

As I said, whoever has some thoughts, opinions welcome!