• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If an auction description mentions that a coin is from the "So & So" collection,

10 posts in this topic

There are a number of possibilities, the most likely are which to provide pedigree information to potential bidders/future owners, and/or to please the consignor by appealing to his pride, etc.

There are a number of possibilities, the most likely are which to provide pedigree information to potential bidders/future owners, and/or to please the consignor by appealing to his pride, etc.

I agree with Mark, and as a buyer, would add, that some contemporary pedigrees are very meaningful to me, but most mean little or nothing to me.

I am sure the "primary" purpose would be to better lure buyers to the table by falsely giving more credibility to the coin. How much more credibility can one ask for than a graded and slabbed coin? Oh yea, CAC. I doubt they care to appease the consignor other than free doughnuts.

If the ability to know was assured, I would much rather gain ownership of a single coin maintained in MS whatever condition for 150 years than a hoard that was stuck away in a cellar for the same time. It would have taken far more care by an individual or individuals to have maintained its condition than the hoard. Thus, giving a little more meaning to me than a Hoard name.

I find most of them tacky and I do not know a majority of the people - even if it is in an area I collect.

The worst ones are "The Tom Smith Collection which is the #4 Registry Set at PCG$". Please, who cares! They have 36,000 Registry Sets and 99.99% of them aren't meaningful at all and the collectors behind them will never be well know or have accomplished anything special.

To come back to a specific aspect of my question, would it make sense for a consignor to request that the blurb "from the Moe Joe Flo collection" be appended to his lots just so he can track their progress, or find them more easily in the catalog?

To come back to a specific aspect of my question, would it make sense for a consignor to request that the blurb "from the Moe Joe Flo collection" be appended to his lots just so he can track their progress, or find them more easily in the catalog?

That does not make sense to me, but it may to the consignor.