• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about silver penny

16 posts in this topic

I posted this in the water cooler forum, but maybe this would be the better place:

I'm not sure how many non-collectors you get in here asking stupid questions, but here's another one.

My wife found a 2007 penny that seems to be made of zinc. It's 99% silver-colored, with small copper flecks here and there that are barely visible, and it's a good deal lighter than other pennies (at least to the touch). What do we have here? Is it worth anything?

Better wait for others to chime in here Dano. I don't know how lincolns are plated and this looks to have some copper plating on it from what I can tell. There are others here that are more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

Well it doesn't look like it has had the copper plating removed which is good. That leaves two possibilities. Either it did not have the copper plating (good) or it has been lightly plated after it was struck (bad). Pictures will not be good enough to determine which case it is, it would have to be examined in person by an expert. I do think there is a good chance you have a genuine non-plated cent.

By the way if you really think it is significantly lighter in weight than a regular 2007 cent then have it weighed just to make sure it is NOT struck on a foreign planchet or something.because the missing plating would not change the weight of the cent significantly. (.05 grams)