• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you feel comfortable giving your relatives a list of the coins you want?

24 posts in this topic

Last year for Christmas, everyone gave me cash, since I didn't feel comfortable letting them buy coins for me, for a few reasons:

• They don't know how to grade coins
  • They don't know a fair price to pay
  • They don't know how to spot an original coin from a problem one
  • They might get taken by a slimy coin dealer

But, this year my parents have asked me to give them a list of the coins I would like for Christmas. I have a few raw sets in Danscos that could stand to be finished, namely a Dansco 7070, and a Roosevelt dime album. I have the list typed up, verified, and ready to print out; but I don't feel comfortable giving it to them. My dad probably knows best what I'm looking for, and I'm sure the coin dealer would help them find the coins, but I just don't know.

So, would you feel comfortable submitting a list of coins you need to a family member(s) in order for them to purchase said coins for you? Would you feel more comfortable if you included explicit directions within the list as far as grades, prices, etc. go?

I have not done this and in fact my wife asked me this very question, but I felt uncomfortable giving her a "list" in that is she was to purchase something I did not agree with or like, would be a problem. I believe funds to purchase is a better gift. if you are dealing with one that is not in the hobby. Now that is not to say that if my wife or anyone were to give me a gift of a coin that I would not be appreciative of it, regardless of the condition, it is the thought that counts.

Rey

In the very early days of collecting, I had general "mint set," "pre-1909 cents," "dimes and quarters pre-1965," and stuff like that. But even during high school, I started to get away from that and while "Coins" are still on my wish list, it specifically says, "Ask me for details." Basically for the reasons people have stated above.

Not coins, but no problem listing the currency I want.

Money: No one ever complains when they receive it. One size fits all and it comes in the perfect color.

Last year for Christmas, everyone gave me cash, since I didn't feel comfortable letting them buy coins for me, for a few reasons:

• They don't know how to grade coins
  • They don't know a fair price to pay
  • They don't know how to spot an original coin from a problem one
  • They might get taken by a slimy coin dealer

But, this year my parents have asked me to give them a list of the coins I would like for Christmas. I have a few raw sets in Danscos that could stand to be finished, namely a Dansco 7070, and a Roosevelt dime album. I have the list typed up, verified, and ready to print out; but I don't feel comfortable giving it to them. My dad probably knows best what I'm looking for, and I'm sure the coin dealer would help them find the coins, but I just don't know.

So, would you feel comfortable submitting a list of coins you need to a family member(s) in order for them to purchase said coins for you? Would you feel more comfortable if you included explicit directions within the list as far as grades, prices, etc. go?

Good thread chad!

Actually, I don't have a problem with it at all. I'd honestly rather have some coin from a coin shop that they pick out instead of getting cash. Because when I usually get cash, its about $70. Can't buy much gold for $70.

For this christmas i wanted a gold rooster , but I doubt I'll get one. Gold is pretty expensive right now. I'll be happy with any numismatic item I get, whether it be a common mercury dime or a morgan dollar.

This is what I got last christmas. A japanese bill and a silver certificate from my uncle, and a nice little set of coins from my grandfather. Probably bought it in a magazine. i'm happy with it.

CoinsetReverse.jpg

CoinSet.jpg

BillsObverse.jpg

Chad, I can understand your misgivings about your parents' lack of knowledge and the fear they may get "ripped", but I can also see your parents' point of view. Imagine yourself sitting on the floor next to the Christmas tree, opening your presents. Then your mother whispers in your father's ear, "Honey, did you see how his face lit up when he opened the present and saw the check?" Yeah, right! They want to be able to give you something more meaningful than just a check.

However, there is another alternative that you may want to consider. Why not give your parents a list of certified coins in specific grades. It doesn't matter whether they are ANACS, NGC, PCGS or whatever you choose. Then let your parents decide which to buy. Believe me, it would be more meaningful for them to actually take an active role in the hobby that you enjoy.

As for me, it doesn't matter one iota. I don't have any family or relatives who can afford any of the coins that I want. lol

Happy Holidays!

Chris

My wife is the only one that buys me coins at christmas. She's done pretty good so far. Besides a couple of off the wall stuff, the coins she has bought me have been in NGC slabs!!

I'll be happy with whatever they get, no matter what it is, but I don't want them to end up spending $100 on a $15 coin because the dealer took advantage of them. I could stomach them paying $25 for a $15 coin, but I know the dealers can be scum.

My relatives do not give Christmas gifts to anyone except their immediate family (parents or children). Same applies to graduations, births, etc. Also, when someone does a special favor for one of them, they make no effort to do the same in the future. A list would result in confused stares leading to a catatonic state. Although all are very comfortable financially, they are extremely parsimonious.

So, would you feel comfortable submitting a list of coins

you want to a family member(s) in order for them to purchase

said coins for you?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you feel more comfortable if you included explicit

directions within the list as far as grades, prices, etc. go?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get the money and buy your own coins with your

own eyes for your own collection what you

want to buy.... as only one thing matters

incoins and that is eye appealand only

you can determine that for yourself

my tender tater tot :grin:

I don't ask for anything more complicated than the current year's proof silver eagle from my parents (coin-wise). Otherwise, I'd rather have cash. They don't have a problem with that, nor do I.

I wouldn't dream of giving a want list of coins to a relative. I could just imagine them paying five times Red Book for polished coins. They should stick with clothes for gifts.

There's only one person in my family I'd trust to buy for me and that's because he's another collector. The rest of my family I'd allow to purchase any current US Mint products I want. That's it.

Great attitiude, Stinky and Bobby. My list would simply be any US Mint, NGC or PCGS item or perhaps a numismatic book or two to choose from. Its a gift after all, the point is that they picked it for you. Whether you actually like the coin/coins won't matter after that person is gone, but it will be a remembrance of them and their thoughts of you. Just my way of looking at it.

NO NO NO - I would never do that ...

Couple of points not mentioned UNLESS I am getting blind.

1 - Locate what you want and point it out to them to purchase for you where ever it may be ... ( less surprise for you but they will at least participate in advancing your collection )

2 - Most B&M's and Online Places will issue gift certificates in any denomination you want for future purchases. ( Better than a check/CASH as it would be ear marked toward your collection )

3 - Just cause its in plastic doesn't make it the RIGHT coin for your collection. I would rather see the coin BEFORE purchase than have to return something that did not 'fit' in it.

rambling ... Sorry

I have found the perfect solution for this problem, because it has been a problem in the past. I give them a list of the coin books I want, and let them buy those for me instead of coins. I always want or need new books, and you don't have to worry about them getting ripped off as much.

Same here....like Chris said, my want-list is mostly comprised of $300+ coins and my family just does not give gifts of that value...most of the Christmas buying is for anyone under the age of 18..lots of nieces and nephews

Last year my mother bought me a book I requested...Renassaince of American Coinage...a beautiful book about my favorite series, Walkers, SLQ's, mercs and buffs....

I usually ask for reference materials, mag subscriptions, supplies, and books.

I can trust my father and brother (both knowledgeable) to pick coins for me.

But I'm to the point for most of my stuff, that an upgrade or hole filler is going to cost a pretty penny, and I'd rather they save their money for their collections.