• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you keep and why?

21 posts in this topic

Let's say down the road I decide to sell my dollar set but wish to keep a favorite coin for a momento and to use in a type set. Which no motto example from my shortlist of favorites would YOU keep [and why]?

The Garrett 1848 [PCGS MS66]. The only example known above MS63 for this low mintage date. Wonderful color and mint bloom.

21572867-copy.jpg

The Fairfield 1849 [PCGS MS67]. Tied for finest certified No Motto Dollar at either service. Essentially perfect with just a touch of strike weakness.

21572868-copy.jpg

The Akers 1854 [PCGS MS66]. The image just doesn't do this coin justice, the colors are electric and clear with fully lustrous fields.

21572842-copy.jpg

I would keep #3, because it is the best combination of eye appeal and a strong strike (as a type collector these characteristics are the most important to me, rather than rarity or top-pop).

I would keep the one which best met the combination of 1) providing enjoyment and specialness to me and 2) was solid or better for the assigned grade.

Edited to add:

I can't tell any of that just from the images and without speaking to you and barraging you with questions. :D

;)

I would keep #3, because it is the best combination of eye appeal and a strong strike (as a type collector these characteristics are the most important to me, rather than rarity or top-pop).

Ditto. Love the toning.

I would keep the one which best met the combination of 1) providing enjoyment and specialness to me and 2) was solid or better for the assigned grade.

Edited to add:

I can't tell any of that just from the images and without speaking to you and barraging you with questions. :D

;)

I was thinking the same thing. There is probably some personal story behind all of them, and without knowing more about you as a person, I wouldn't attempt to suggest one to keep over another.

Chris

I like the Garrett coin the best. I'm not sure I agree with the technical grade, but the toning has the kind of color that seems extraordinarily stable to me. I don't trust the color stability on the third coin, and the second has a "post dipped" look to me.

Now, this is based on the "True View" images, which virtually never look like the actual coin to me. I would love to be able to compare these ultra-beauties in hand and side-by-side!

I would love to be able to compare these ultra-beauties in hand and side-by-side!

I agree James, but if I owned these I would never have to ask this question TDN. I would never get rid of any of these. Never in my lifetime could I ever own anything even close to those! Those are awesome!! (worship)

I'd keep the 1849. It's got the overall look of a great coin with what looks to be mark free surfaces, and a wonderful light original color. There are a few spots I could do without in a perfect world, but it is still looks like I expect a Superb BU Seated dollar should look like.

The 1854 is nice, but the more I see this color type, the more I question it. Looks to have a few hits. It's a trade off of color vs. surface preservation of the 1849.

I don't like the 1848. Too make marks on the obverse arm, leg, and drapery, and a handful of dark spots. The toning does nothing for me and is actually a slight negative.

As I were keeping the coin only for my own gratification, it would be the Garrett 1848 as it is(I believe) far better looking in hand than in this picture. I can see the toning in the fields which in hand I believe would stand out. The center wing feathers are so much better struck and detailed as are the leg feathers. Also, just knowing it is the only known specimen above MS63 would drive me to keep it. Regardless, what a wonderful choice to have to make. JMHO.

I would keep the 49 because the tone is solid throughout and doesn't draw my eye away from the beauty of the coin. I don't know how the other two Beautiful coins (worship) will look in another 20 years. Will that electric tone remain or will it turn oogly? The 49 looks to be the most stable to me. Having said that I will admit to little knowledge of how toning progresses over the years. hm Thanks for sharing some beauties with us. :cool:

Hands down to the Garrett 1848 for five reasons

originality (even if dipped)

mint bloom

strike and surfaces

overall eye appeal

pedigree

The others, especially #3 don't make all five of the above reasons.

originality (even if dipped)
Please explain?

that the toning developed naturally over time and wasn't forced or helped or essentialy painted on such as quick toning in a whitman album to add a few bucks to the price. there is a difference.

The PCGS images are extraordinary, but like any images they can tend to skew certain attributes of a coin. Personally, and based only upon the images, I prefer the Garrett coin because even though I would love to own or even inspect in-hand any of these coins, the Garrett piece makes me pause the longest to enjoy the coin.