• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you think a poster is a troll, please ignore him/her and/or report him/her..

51 posts in this topic

An open mind cannot be antogonized----Albert Einstein

It's too bad you can't come up with an original thought. Your one-liners leave a lot to be desired.

Blocked!

Chris

• Administrator

Open expression of constructive and well reasoned opinions is a goal of the CS. As has been stated already on this thread, everyone should have the opportunity to contribute as long as it's done in that spirit of collaboration and discussion.

Even a step beyond that, there is room for strong disagreement and even the occasional "slightly too emphatic" kind of expression as this often forms the basis for a really comprehensive discussion of the merits of any point of view. And we also don't want reasonable people to feel like they're walking on eggshells every time they have a strong opinion on something. So, by and large, we moderate as much by trends and patterns as by individual instances of envelope-pushing. This helps to allow the latitude for normal human emotion of hot topics without letting things deteriorate too much.

That tolerance is a good thing over all as it truly does help to encourage more variety of discussion, even if that gravy comes with a few lumps.

But there is a line. CC has crossed it a few times not so much in the vehemence of any particular post, but in the pattern and trend, as well as the excessive "campaign" on a single topic. The single-focus ranting starts to intrude on the wider discussion of other topics and that becomes disruptive. It's that pattern that is undesirable rather than the particular opinions.

All that having been said....

49450-hoot.jpg.aaf3d837bd34046f0329295722b23e1c.jpg

• Administrator

BTW, for any who don't know - click the user's name, click view profile, and click "ignore this user" if you really feel that strongly about any particular person's posts.

• Administrator
Very well put Architecht, CC has his opinions and should be heard like everyone else. Mark Feld and TDN are now on my ignore list.

That would be a shame. I think you'd miss out on a lot of great conversation.

Very well put Architecht, CC has his opinions and should be heard like everyone else. Mark Feld and TDN are now on my ignore list.

Super Post! Well put.

Feld and TDN are both on my ignore list too along with a couple of others. People should have the right to express their opinions without fear they are going to be tattled on, called names, or nit picked simply for expressing their view. I have found using the "ignore" button a fine way to reduce some of the anger I have experienced with certain posters.

I actually believe that a forum is for all to voice there own opinions on the topics that are brought up. I do believe that opinions should be done in a respectful and polite manner towards the other members. Rudeness and disrespect should not be allowed at all. I have never had anyone treat me with disrespect since I've been on the boards, and I am grateful for that. I know that it looks like this topic has been directed towards CC. I do not personally know him, but I have noticed that most posts from him have been derogatory. Eevn though it is not my decision to remove any member from this forum, I'm sure, that if NGC felt there was a need to remove someone, they would do it. I feel this forum was created for numismatists, hobbyists, and collectors alike, to be able to help each other in a positive environment. As I stated, if NGC feels this environment is being jeopardized by an individual, I would think that they would remove them. JMO

Amen Bobby, I don't know CC either and I really think he is misrepresented. I do know he doesn't like the CAC and neither do I.

Neither do I.

I have never blocked anyone and don't think I ever will. I know of one user who is remarkably annoying - well, besides myself, that is. But I'll not block him.

I have never blocked anyone and don't think I ever will. I know of one user who is remarkably annoying - well, besides myself, that is. But I'll not block him.

Thank you, James. :luhv:

A lot of people who come on this site and beat the drum for CAC day after day are really trolls. The difference they are “positive trolls” who are boosting a company that might provide them with a financial gain if it takes off. Those of us who don’t care for CAC might get the troll label because we express negative opinions about the concept and the characterization of CAC as a company that only in it for the good of the hobby. People who believe that CAC only in the grading business only for the good of hobby are truly naïve IMO.

Would I have handled things the same was as CC? No. But I can sympathize with him because he’s fallen into the trap of jousting with someone he should have ignored. I’ve made the same mistake and made an effort to avoid that person when it comes to any controversial topic.

A lot of people who come on this site and beat the drum for CAC day after day are really trolls. The difference they are “positive trolls” who are boosting a company that might provide them with a financial gain if it takes off. Those of us who don’t care for CAC might get the troll label because we express negative opinions about the concept and the characterization of CAC as a company that only in it for the good of the hobby. People who believe that CAC only in the grading business only for the good of hobby are truly naïve IMO.

Would I have handled things the same was as CC? No. But I can sympathize with him because he’s fallen into the trap of jousting with someone he should have ignored. I’ve made the same mistake and made an effort to avoid that person when it comes to any controversial topic.

Bill, you, TomB, Greg, Lou and a few other posters who contribute greatly to this forum obviously have some strong objections to CAC. I have no problem with that, and I don't for a minute consider you "trolls".

However, at the same time, one or two posters contribute virtually nothing to the forum other than nonsense and/or disruption, and I consider them to be "trolls". I don't assign that label based merely on whether someone disagrees with me and/or expresses their opinion. The trolls want people to believe that, however, even though it's obviously not true. If it were, my "troll" list would be much longer.

I don't assign that label based merely on whether someone disagrees with me and/or expresses their opinion. The trolls want people to believe that, however, even though it's obviously not true. If it were, "troll" list would be much longer.

This comes across Mark. I don’t think anyone is confused.

I don't ignore anyone or plan to. Doesn't matter if I don't agree with what someone says. I'll either post my own opinion or just let it go. I surely don't want to block anyone in case they actually post information that I might need someday. Don't wanna miss that!

I appreciate hearing the mods view of this issue. I have only one person on my ignore list and thats because they say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over well you catch my drift:) Hoot wherever and whoever you are you I feel your pain brother :tonofbricks: