• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do dealers/Bulk buyers get deals on US Mint coins?

13 posts in this topic

I decided to send my stepdad a set of the prez proofs for Christmas. I knew, unless I paid for expidited shipping, that I wouldn't get these fast enough to mail him from the mint, so I bought a set off ebay. What got me is the seller was selling these at a Buy it now for 13.95 & $4 s&h. Cheaper than the mint. He has a 100% feedback with these sets listed in his feedback as nice also. So, do certain people/companies get a discount from the mint??

Yes. I think the discount is 4% (technically 5%, but they charge you 1% for S&H). I don't have my paperwork in front of me, but I think those are the numbers.

The discount is 5% and there is 1% charged for shipping. However, if $50,000 is spent during the year on eligible products (primarily the annual sets and eagles), then another 5% is rebated back. So, the discount can be as high as 9%.

I would suspect, however, that the set you saw on eBay was just separated from a regular or silver 14-coin proof set. Probably the other coins were broken up and this was a left over. Dealers have been selling these left over pieces among themselves for as little as $10 each.

WH

That's true to Wayne, but these are coming with the COA also. I think the COA with the 2007 proof sets are different from the prez proof COA, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not in front of my sets, so I'm not sure! (shrug)

That's true to Wayne, but these are coming with the COA also. I think the COA with the 2007 proof sets are different from the prez proof COA, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not in front of my sets, so I'm not sure! (shrug)

Bobby, the Presidential Dollars that come in the full Proof Set are boxed separately and come with their own COA. The Mint packaging and COA for these is the same as the ones sold separately.

Also, the price of the Silver Proof Set was $37.95 in 2006. The 2007 Proof Presidential Dollars are selling for $14.95, or you can get the full Silver Proof Set which includes the Presidential Dollars for $44.95. Why buy the Presidential Dollars separately when you can get them for only $7 with the full set? I returned mine and opted for the full set.

Chris

Yea I hear ya Chris. I'm thinking of canceling my prez proof set also. I still have subscr for the silver and regular proos sets. I have a subcr for 2 of the regular proofs so I can use one set for my danscos.

There's a guy in my coin club that's buys in bulk and sells almost everything cheaper than the mint plus no shipping charges.

It is a violation of the terms of the Mint's bulk agreement to resell the items to retail customers for less than the Mint's selling price. They can be sold wholesale for less.

WH