• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth conserving ? Comments please.

17 posts in this topic

Beautiful, leave it be otherwise you will ruin it. Touch it and I will never forgive you. Seriously it looks very original and I am jealous. Please don't mess with it, it is the way a early dollar should look, everything you see nowadays is blast white and ugly, this is the real thing.

Beautiful, leave it be otherwise you will ruin it. Touch it and I will never forgive you. Seriously it looks very original and I am jealous. Please don't mess with it, it is the way a early dollar should look, everything you see nowadays is blast white and ugly, this is the real thing.

Just a note... it is a half.

I see no obvious reason that this coin should be "conserved" unless you are attempting to strip it of any remaining original surface and produce a hideous, dipped POS.

I see no obvious reason that this coin should be "conserved" unless you are attempting to strip it of any remaining original surface and produce a hideous, dipped POS.

Hehe. I agree with Tom. There is a pretty good market for a coin such as yours. If you want a white one, why not sell yours and purchase a white one?

Nice post, jman. You certainly stirred the mix and raised the boiling point. When a beautiful half such as this is presented-conserving is the furthest thing from anyone on this boards mind(well there might be one). Great coin BTW. (thumbs u

OK... no conserving.

I don't like it blast white either but was looking for nice toning and allows one to see all the details. I am planning to keep it.

Guesses on the Overton, if any ?

I'd like to add one thing to what Greg wrote and that is that this coin might be an example of a coin that has been previously cleaned or dipped and that has retoned over a significant length of time to this deep, dark color. Therefore, it might be essentially original or it might be previously worked on, but I don't know a way that you could minimize the color or spottiness of the obverse without really harming the eye appeal.

I'd like to add one thing to what Greg wrote and that is that this coin might be an example of a coin that has been previously cleaned or dipped and that has retoned over a significant length of time to this deep, dark color. Therefore, it might be essentially original or it might be previously worked on, but I don't know a way that you could minimize the color or spottiness of the obverse without really harming the eye appeal.

I was actually wondering if that might be the case, but I didn't have enough confidence to ask.

If you don't like the eye appeal of a particular coin, it makes more sense to sell it and buy one that you do like than it does to try and 'fix' the coin you've got.

Clearly the coin has eye appeal for a number of folks here. You could probably make enough off of selling that coin to buy another one. Heck, you might find a buyer here on these boards.

possibly hm a little murphy's oil soap and warm water or leave it as is; but i need to see it in hand, sight seen to make this determination

the date looks a little strange/odd/"off" to me from the photo; but again i need to see it in hand sight seen