• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elephant token missing?

87 posts in this topic

Well to tell you the truth, I've never seen an elephant token, let alone the posters pics of thier coin. I was curious as to what they looked like. If anyone else is curious, I found this link. elephant tokem

Awesome... A black circle! :P

Click on the "500dpi" option from that link for a much better view of each side. And please consider being nicer to people who try to provide information to fellow forum members.

Well to tell you the truth, I've never seen an elephant token, let alone the posters pics of thier coin. I was curious as to what they looked like. If anyone else is curious, I found this link. elephant tokem

Click on the "500dpi" option from that link for a much better view of each side. And please consider being nicer to people who try to provide information to fellow forum members.

I clicked it Mark, and I still see only a black circle.

Try this

I clicked it Mark, and I still see only a black circle.

Try this

Chad, that was helpful - thank you. When I clicked on the "500dpi" option from the previous link I saw decent detail - not sure why you didn't.

Also, Candace, you might want to check this out

Struck copies

Your token said "GOD PRESERVE NEW ENGLAND" on the reverse, and thus, the coin is a counterfeit. It was struck in 1861 (approximately) by Albert S. Robinson from dies made by Joseph Merriam.

A MS63 copy brought $604 in 2001, then slabbed by SEGS.

Watch out, Chad, this token is also considered an original back to 1694 for the three pieces known, and you are linking a brass copy from 1861. The issue is confused enough already from the information given by Candace, we don't need it confused further.

Surely MunkyMan95 and Bsshog40 must own a Redbook, right?

I would suggest that would be a good place for those posting in this thread to start.

The New England Elephant Token is a variety, which, as TomB has pointed out several times in this thread, is real. There are three known genuine examples, one of which is illustrated on page 45 of the 2008 Redbook. To the best of my knowledge, the last genuine example to trade publicly was in a Stack's auction in December 1983.

Candace's coin doesn't match the details of the reverse lettering on the 3 genuine examples, and so I concluded it was a non-deceptive copy. I would say it would have some nominal numismatic value as such (though obviously it may have significant sentimental value to her).

MunkeyMan posted a link to an 1861 Robinson Restrike, which is something else entirely. It is neither a genuine example, nor a match for what Candace has - it is struck from a different die, and in a different metal, and frankly it isn't very hard to tell them apart.

I have yet to have ever seen a picture of Candace's coin. My link referral of the token was just for my curosity of what this coin was. No need for me to look in the redbook if I was just wanting to see what this coin was and link it for others to see an Elephant Token.

The deal we made was to send me a copy of the video tape of the coin being packaged and to refund the $160.50 it cost me to have this coin appraised. They agreed, however I waited two weeks and nothing happened. I called again and they stated they did everything correctly and that it was a Fed Ex problem. I called Fed Ex and they said NGC never called them and now three weeks after the coin has been missing, there is nothing they can do. That NGC should have called them when they realised there was a problem. Out of complete flustration, I have filed a complaint with the bbb to see if they can work things out becuase NGC is not doing anything. As far as insurance, I am not sure if they put insurance on the package. I didn't think of asking when I called Fed Ex, however, since NGC didn't call them at all, they said they can't do anything. Any suggestions????????????

Give up. What is insurance going to give you, $5?

NGC says the tape confirmed that the coin was placed in the box. It was either lost by FedEx (doubtful if the box arrived sealed) or lost by you when the box was opened.

I'd be thankful that they refunded your submission fees.

FedEx doesn't insure coins so any insurance coverage would probably have to come from whatever private insurance, if any, NGC uses when they ship FedEx. It is really starting to sound like you are going to be completely out of luck on this deal.

If NGC states that the replica was shipped out of their facility correctly then it was lost somewhere either in transit (FedEx) or when opened by you. FedEx might be able to look for the replica, but if the box arrived undamaged then it would seem likely that it was lost when you opened the box. I realize the replica has sentimental value to you, but outside of the $5 or so value of the replica that might be sent to you in the form of a check, there appears to be nothing else for you to obtain as long as the replica remains missing.

The deal we made was to send me a copy of the video tape of the coin being packaged and to refund the $160.50 it cost me to have this coin appraised.

How did that end up being $160.50? My opinion is the coin got lost in transit or on your end. If NGC shows the coin getting sealed up, that's conclusive for me.

What I would like to know is, how on earth did Fedex end up being the form of delivery for this coin? NGC routinely uses Registered mail.

please only let the original poster answer this.

Also, when you submit a coin to NGC for grading, you have to designate a value for which it is insured for. What value did you indicate?

"I called FedEx, and they said no one from NGC had called them." So you called a call center and were surprised that the random person on the other end of the phone didn't know what you were talking about?

I formally declare shenanigans.

How did that end up being $160.50?

From message #2061040 Candace indicated that she paid for overnight delivery and one day walkthrough service. My guess is that she had them send it back the same way since the total turnaround time was so fast

2061040 - 12/09/07 09:25 AM Re: elephant token missing?

Pendragon,

I joined NGC to submit this one coin.. . . I received the welcome package and then over nighted the coin to NGC. (Which took five days) Because of the potencial value of the coin, I had to pay the $125.00 for the 24 express option. That is why I received the coin back so quickly.

I don't know why fedex delivered the coin. The point is NGC said they were going to refund the $160.50, send me a copy of the tape and contact fed ex. They did not do any one of those things. I put the value as a authentic coin at being $25,000. That is what the insurance there and back was suppose to be. It cost so much because they charge you for what you feel the value of the coin is. As far as them having a copy of the coin being packaged, I am not sure they do have it. They said they do, however they said they would e-mail me a copy of the tape and did not do it. I would think if they have proof the coin was packaged properly, they would want to send me a copy. I have not been impressed at NGC's actions in reference to this matter. They have told me they would do certain things, then they don't do it.

Candace

Depending on how you have your email settings configured, you may already have received an email from NGC with video attachment that might have been automatically deleted from your mailbox or server. I write this because many servers will delete or quarantine an email with an attachment over a certain size. This is done as a security procedure to protect users from malicious code.

Slightly off topic, but if I had a coin that I thought was unique I would never mail it to a TPG to begin with just for the possibility that something like this could happen. Even if I insured it for $50k what an authentic item is worth because the insurance co. t don't believe would pay me $50k unless I had an aprraisal, which is exactly what I am looking for from a TPG. All you need is to have the TPG say it is a fake and that would seal the deal on zero reimbursement, now if you had a TPG say it is genuine and give it a grade that would legitimize the coin but look what can happen as in this situation, too many unknowns , loose strings, and dependence on someone else for my comfort level.