• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Guess the grade" again for a Proof 1874 Trade $ and a Proof 1873 Arrows Dime...

40 posts in this topic

I'll say right off the bat I don't know anything about these. But, the trade dollar looks like wear to me, and it looks like it might have been messed with, and the spot on the reverse turns me off. I grade it ugly.

The dime, I am not sure because the pictures cold be hiding a lot - grading proofs from images is nearly impossible. But I will throw 65 Cam out there, maybe with a star.

The trade dollar seems to have light wear so it's PR55 in my opinion.

As for dime, it looks to have no wear from the picture. But since you said tricky, and you are the one who always say "you can't grade (uncirculated) proof coins from images", I guess it's PR58 hm

Personally, I would bodybag the trade dollar (Net PF 55), and grade the half dime PF 65.

I would guess that NGC graded the first PF 60 and the second was grade by PCGS as PF 65.

However, it is worth noting that the photographic technique (at a slight angle) as well as the size of the photos makes being sure next to impossible. Specifically, I would be worried about hairlines on both coins, and wear on the first coin being hidden/obscured by the photos...Mike

I will guess PF-53 on the Trade dollar, and PF-62 on the dime.

By the way, I cataloged a coin last night that I find to be pretty cool. It was an 1877 Indian Head cent in ANACS PF-08 :o . Needless to say, no CAM or DCAM.

By the way, I cataloged a coin last night that I find to be pretty cool. It was an 1877 Indian Head cent in ANACS PF-08 :o . Needless to say, no CAM or DCAM.

In that condition can they really tell its a proof? Wouldn't almost all die markers even be worn away?

Hopefully, these are tricky..... :devil:

You know better. They are near impossible to grade from a picture as are most proofs.

What grade would you assign this Proof Trade Dollar?

Looks PF55 and cleaned/AT/just plain fugly in that picture.

And this Proof Arrows Dime one?

Impossible without seeing the coin. Gut feeling is that with this color it's no lower than PF63.

My thought on the trade dollar was in the low AU range. I'm glad to see I wasn't way off base, at least according to the rest of the guesses.

I don't even want to attempt the dime.

I am sure to get a PM from Mark :)

Trade dollar counterfeit

Dime Counterfeit

I have examples of EACH and they each exhibit 'differences' - However I may be WRONG if they are WORN examples of which I would not be able to recognize.

I believe the T$ has been circulated and give it PF58. I really have no idea on the dime the pictures are not clear, but it could be anywhere from PF62 - PF66.

What I like about your 'guess the grade' Mark is that you ask us to grade coins that I rarely have a chance to examine.

Pushing the Envelope of Knowledge, thanks.

If you are up to the challenge, put the words/thoughts "Hopefully, these are tricky :devil:" out of your minds and guess their grades again, as objectively as you can?

Grades will be revealed later today. ;)

If you are up to the challenge, put the words/thoughts "Hopefully, these are tricky :devil:" out of your minds and guess their grades again, as objectively as you can?

Grades will be revealed later today. ;)

Thanks for the offer but I try to only embarrass myself once per thread :insane:

I'll give you all a hint: That's not wear on the 1874 - a significant portion of examples of this date exhibit that strike weakness [including the Eliasberg coin which was graded PR66 by both NGC and PCGS].

As for being counterfeits, you can see which holders they are in! ;)

As for being counterfeits, you can see which holders they are in! ;)

Yeah I know but I wouldnt put it by Mark to find something like that in each Holder :D -

Did they change designs on the reverse in 1874 as compared to a 1883 ??

Look forward to thier actual grades ...

48818-mouth.jpg.ec3b2dc51c31dbf5810a61a365cf3050.jpg

oh yes correct the proof 1874 trades are mostly weakly struck............ i have seen a few 1874 proofs with more/missing weak feathers

i change my opinion to gem proof for the trade dollar

Yes, they redesigned the reverse in 1875 to correct striking problems experienced in 1873 & 1874. The most noticeable change is the removal of the berry under the eagle's claw on the same weakly struck leg in that pic of the 1874. This made it easier to bring up the feathers on that leg.

Yes, they redesigned the reverse in 1875 to correct striking problems experienced in 1873 & 1874. The most noticeable change is the removal of the berry under the eagle's claw on the same weakly struck leg in that pic of the 1874. This made it easier to bring up the feathers on that leg.

Thanks - I figured as mine has a closed mouth and the 1874 has an opened one as pictured.

In that condition can they really tell its a proof? Wouldn't almost all die markers even be worn away?

Most would - except for the recutting of the "E" in CENT on the reverse, which shows even on very low grade coins.

AU 50 Trade Dollar.

Proof 65 Dime.

Regardless of what the grades on the holders say as from the photos that is the way the coins look to me. The photos could of been better. Also you can't grade a coin from a photo anyway...