• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a sticker for "ORIGINALITY"?

12 posts in this topic

Don't laugh, but after I posted my thread about the CAC our family went to the bookstore and as I was thumbing through the Coins magazine I believe there was an article about the CAC and one idea that was floated about within the article was to put a sticker with an "O" on it for coins that were original, but that did not meet the CAC minimum standards. I'm not joking.

And how does someone tell that something is original without owning it since its creation?

You can exclude the clearly non-original, but cannot confirm the original.

I for one will immediately remove any stickers on slabs from the top tier graders.

Like my dad on the farm used to say, "useless as teats on a boarhog"

MM :hi:

This would be of greater interest to me that a sticker that tells me something is "solid for the grade".

"Originality" would probably be an impossible standard to apply in a very high percentage of cases. What would you propose for the standard?

Geeez...a 70 (or better yet, 100) point "originality" scale along with the micro point grade; and maybe we can add an authenticity scale too?

"My 1939 nickel is 2 points more authentic than yours!"

What other subjective, non-quantifiable attributes shall we add to the mixture?

Why bother with the coin - just buy a slabbed photo and add some stickers.

And how does someone tell that something is original without owning it since its creation?

You can exclude the clearly non-original, but cannot confirm the original.

And how does someone tell that something is uncirculated without buying it from the mint?

You can exclude the clearly circulated, but cannot confirm the uncirculated.

We all buy and sell coins that "look" uncirculated by calling them Mint State. Same thing with originality. A judgement is made based on how the coin "looks". Crazy toning or birght white coins that are 100 years old sure wouldn't qualify as original to me.

When I was a kid I used to collect coins, stickers and baseball cards.....who would've thought that as an adult 2 of my 3 childhood hobbies would join together into 1 hobby..............coins with stickers!!! :baiting:

if you throw in a stick of that crackly bubble gum with it, I'm sure it would be a huge hit !!!