• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC slabs taking over my collection

11 posts in this topic

It struck me tonight that half my modest collection are in NGC holders, a quarter each PCGS & ANACS. It was once 85% PCGS. As my buying interests have moved away from high grade RD IHs -- a market PCGS still dominates -- I'm finding some smaller IH niches where NGC coins have an equal footing.

One of them is beautifully toned RB/BN IH proofs where there may be a larger number of great coins available in NGC slabs. The last two major Heritage auctions had some groundbreaking prices for these in PF66 & 67 RB/BN, all NGC.

Another are IH varieties and errors where NGC is much more collector friendly and great coins seem to remain in their plastic. I find that refreshing. The struggle to cross solid NGC coins to PCGS is an ongoing melodrama for high grade RD collectors, something PCGS takes advantage of..

Just thought it was interesting how the slab ratio of my collection slowly changed without me even realizing it. Most of the finest known Indian cents may be in PCGS holders but I'm finding many of the more interesting ones in NGC white.

Paul

Some of the nicest Proof IHCs I have owned were (are) in NGC holders. Many I have crossed when I was putting together my Registry set, but now I only submit them for crossover if I think it will add value to the coin.

That's a nice post, Paul, and a very astute observation. As you know and have written, there are some superbly toned IHCs in NGC holders and I can only hope that the market, in general, does not do its collective homework on this series.

Folks, the attachment is a coin that Paul and I have had the pleasure of trading ownership on and is currently happily residing with me. Should it become available again, it is already spoken for and will be shipped back to Paul. smile.gif

273282-CIH91NGCPF65BN.jpg.ecea8c67d193c83de688d4b8c8ad99c1.jpg

I really haven't paid much attention to how many NGC versus other slabs I own, but it seems lately there have been more new acquisitions in NGC slabs. I am now pursuing some better date Saints, and to be honest, it really doesn't matter who's slabs they are in or even if they are raw, because some of these dates are just hard to find period. And when they come along, you jump at the opportunity.

...I am now pursuing some better date Saints, and to be honest, it really doesn't matter who's slabs they are in or even if they are raw, because some of these dates are just hard to find period. And when they come along, you jump at the opportunity.

Exactly. Who gives a damn what holder it's in? But.....

Of the series I collect I can give a run-down of what I have:

Buffalo Nickels: Only about 25% of the ones I owned were originally in holders other than PCGS. A couple now reside in PCGS holders because I had the notion a few years back of doing a registry of some of my series which I eventually decided against. I can't say however I wouldn't buy NGC graded coins. I don't really see all that much difference in the grading.

$10 Indian Eagle: Less than 20% of the ones I owned were other than PCGS. I know at least one was an ANACS coin but as stated above these are in PCGS holders now. Same comment as above.

$5 Indian Half Eagle: I almost NEVER see a decent coin in an NGC holder. There seem to be a glut of these on the market and most are dull and lifeless. I can't tell you how many I've looked through. Just go to Ebay or Heritage and see...the vast majority of the ones being sold are NGC. Why this is I don't know. I did hear they got a big bulk of these to come thru there a few years ago....

The problem here is NOT the grading services. I mean, the grading services have really no control on what coins are being sent them. BUT I will say the VAST majority of PQ coins I look for are residing in PCGS holders. Even if they were originally in NGC holders they are usually cracked out and sent to PCGS since they will probably get a better price. This is especially true for the $5 Indians. What would you do if you were selling? Put it in an NGC holder to be sold against the glut of "junk unc" or go to PCGS where it will stand out?

jom

The nicely toned coins tend to go to NGC because they do not downgrade for the toning. PCGS is very harsh when it comes to toning. My own collection has significant numbers of NGC, PCGS and ANACS holders. I also have some early large cents in SEGS holders, all properly graded and attributed. In the future I will be sticking to NGC, PCGS and ANACS only. I recently sold some modern Lincolns in PCGS and NGC holders. They sold easily. I also tried to sell similar material in PCI and ICG holders. Let's just say that I will never buy another PCI or ICG slabbed coin and leave it at that.

When I started working on my set I purchased all slabs and raw. I was going to play the registry. I tried crossing a few coins to PCGS and met the politics that rule their game. At one point I had about 60% of my coins in PCGS slabs. Now I would guess it is less than 10%.

I do not avoid PCGS slabs or cross them just to cross them. I cross them out of PCGS only if I have a reason. It is just that nicely toned commems seem to be more plentiful in NGC slabs. I would guess that out of the last 10 coins I've purchased for my set, 8 were NGC, 1 was PCGS and 1 was ANACS.

I've seen too much gnashing of teeth and heard too many murmured comments when it comes to crossing high grade red cents to know that it is something I wouldn't have the patience or ability to participate in. Paul, did I see Tom's coin at FUN?

I went to FUN expecting to load up on PCGS slabbed red IHC cents and came home with none, instead some raw ones and that beautiful NGC 1880 MS65 R/B that is purple and red.

Your collection maybe modest, but the coins sizzle with eye appeal.

I've (slowly) learned not to avoid any holder but do find myself moving toward NGC.

In fact I've got a small grouping of PCI and SEGS coins I'll be sending to NGC not for the grades but for the consistency of the "look" for the set.

I've completely stopped submitting to PCGS.

I went to FUN expecting to load up on PCGS slabbed red IHC cents and came home with none, instead some raw ones and that beautiful NGC 1880 MS65 R/B that is purple and red.

Mike - that's interesting - my Proof IHC was one of 2 really high end sets for sale at FUN in the Heritage Auction - BUT none of the neat "colorful" ones were in the auction bec/they tend to be graded "Brown" and they are anything BUT brown. If you're at FUN this year I may have a few nice ones with me.