• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone think any or all of this seller's coins are counterfeit?

23 posts in this topic

All of the Morgans look like they were cast......the rims are poorly formed.......I didn't look at all of the dates, but the 1894 sure looks like a bad job.

Chris

I have a question about one of them.

Just one? Or do you think by some chance there might actually be a real one in there? Is that your question?

Yes, I have a question about "just one" - the foreign coin. As a general rule, I only handle US coinage and am not familiar with that piece, though I suspect it is ALSO counterfeit. ;)

(play cool superspy theme music)

duh duh duh duh Mark Feld!

Counterfeiters beware!

Try and sell them, he's there!

He's watching out for you -

He won't turn Indians Blue!

Cast and molded,

mintmarks added,

and whatever else they try

duh duh duh duh Mark Feld

The anticounterfeit guy!

I have a question about one of them.

Just one? Or do you think by some chance there might actually be a real one in there? Is that your question?

Yes, I have a question about "just one" - the foreign coin. As a general rule, I only handle US coinage and am not familiar with that piece, though I suspect it is ALSO counterfeit. ;)

The Hungarian coin is undeniably fake.

I can't tell if they're counterfiet, but if not, they've been whizzed badly and dipped to death. It's hard to tell by the pics if they are cast to me.
I see no evidence of whizzing (many coins are incorrectly/unfairly described as "whizzed") and would bet big bucks that they are counterfeit.

I can't tell if they're counterfiet, but if not, they've been whizzed badly and dipped to death. It's hard to tell by the pics if they are cast to me.
I see no evidence of whizzing (many coins are incorrectly/unfairly described as "whizzed") and would bet big bucks that they are counterfeit.

My description of Whizzed is I see alot of hairlines below the clouds.

My description of Whizzed is I see alot of hairlines below the clouds.

That's not the same as "whizzed", though. Cleaned, perhaps, but not whizzed - big difference.

This is from a 2000 article by Rick Montgomery:

........ In its simplest form, whizzing a coin is done by attaching a wire brush to the end of an electric screwdriver and using the high revolutions to move the metal on the coin's surface. More sophisticated whizzing involves putting artificial luster on the coin after the initial wire brushing is completed. The results can be a coin that appears to have the most phenomenal luster you've ever seen.

With experience, the collector will learn that a whizzed coin offers an unusual look that is too stark and not natural looking. The best method of detection is to look at the devices for tell-tale signs of whizzing. These signs are ridges or crests of metal attached to a letter, digit or device.

In addition, the pattern of alteration will usually be unidirectional, giving the coin a flashy but too-uniform pseudo-luster. Genuine luster, by contrast, is created by flow lines that emote from the center towards the edges, creating the familiar cartwheel effect. .......

see here for the entire article

All of them

Rims and Reverse tail of the Eagle non descript colour

Its just all wrong :(

All his items have been killed

I've seen that listing format before, with "THE BEST COINS ON EBAY" in big letters. I wonder if he just gabbed that format from the seller that uses it, or if they're affiliated. I'll keep an eye out for the next one I see like that. It seems like I remember that other seller having a ton of feedback, unlike this current seller.

I've seen that listing format before, with "THE BEST COINS ON EBAY" in big letters. I wonder if he just gabbed that format from the seller that uses it, or if they're affiliated. I'll keep an eye out for the next one I see like that. It seems like I remember that other seller having a ton of feedback, unlike this current seller.

You mean like this one?

That's the one. I wouldn't think someone with that volume of sales would want to mess with a few blatantly counterfeit pieces.

Are you saying that Vette has a bogus Ben Franklin for sale? I've dealt with this seller for 3 years and have bought a few items from them with no issues. I have never bought high dollar items from him as I have found he tends to overgrade and usually gets the higher price, but have never noticed any fake items. Does everyone think this Ben Franklin is fake?

No, jes, that's not what we are saying. What we are saying is that the seller that Mark Feld pointed out stole the formatting of Vette. It was probably to make himself look legitimate, anyone not paying attention might think it was the reputable dealer.