• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You (if you do) Set Your Coin Budget?

16 posts in this topic

This could be an interesting thread. I'll start (duh ...)

Step 1: I started by taking the Mint stuff I bought this year and when, and figuring out what I would want for next year (basically the same). I put that in a by-month timeline.

Step 2: I added in some extra cash for the silver, gold, and platinum due to precious metal price increases.

Step 3: For months that had no Mint purchases, I put in $100 for random small stuff (stuff from circulation, trips to the bank, etc.). I also added some more slop (~$25-50/month) to the other months.

Step 4: Since the total came in at less than half of what I spent this year, I added in an extra $25/month to bring it up to average $200/month.

Unless I buy more Mint stuff than I have planned, then the breakdown should be about 70% to the Mint and 30% for other stuff. I'm not thrilled with that break-down, but I want to spend some cash on a rather expensive camera lens in 2008.

The big question is whether I'll actually stick with this budget. I didn't do too good of a job this year. :blush:

i usually just go with the flow

there is no budget for me, my budget is zero

but if i find something i LIKE, then i TRY TO make it work for me.....................99% of the time it does not work for me not EVEN in my dreams as it is way beyond my dreams in terms of affordability and 1% of the time it does work

A budget is a really smart idea.

I set mine on the amount of money I will never need.

I would never buy coins I might need to sell to pay the bills.

It's only a hobby to me but it's a great one. :)

Usually if I have any money for coins, it's after all my bills are paid and then there may be a few dollars left over that won't be needed between that paycheck and the next.

Having a tendency to splurge, I am a big proponent of a budget. I have used one even before I got back into coin collecting several years ago, and have only strayed outside of it twice -- both instances where a coin was simply too nice to pass up.

I use only discretionary income, put away in a special account every time I get a paycheck. It works out to about 15% of my takehome pay, and I use it for all large discretionary items -- coins, photography, fishing, and other "hobbies".

As an aside, fiscal responsibility has worked well for me. I am completely debt free -- own my home, car, and boat. Something I am very proud of, and budgeting is a big reason why, but YMMV...Mike

I pay my bills first. I pay my student loans next. I save some money, and then I buy some stuff (coins, movies, and such) I usually don't spend too much, I try and keep it to about a hundred dollars a month, unless a coin show is in town (then it might be as high as 2 or 3 hundred) Anything left over immediately goes to prepaying the student loans so that I can get rid of them. The term for the loan is 20 years, but my goal is three or four.

I take my paycheck, deduct all my expenses for the next few weeks, deduct an amount to be put into savings and then then I say that whatever's left over (never all that much) is "for fun" money.

I don't set a budget. If I see a coin (or anything else) that I like and want to buy, I base my decision on how comfortable I feel spending the money. That decision would change month to month.

My problem with following a dedicated budget is that some coins only become available every so often. I feel the need to seize on those opportunities when they arrive…

I have the same problem. If the coins I collected were always or even usually available, then I could set aside $X per month with an allowance for changing prices and stick to it. But since most of the coins I buy seldom are offered for sale, I find myself buying extra coins. That does not mean I buy everything, but I buy more than I normally would. Another criteria I use if I can buy the coin raw at a discount to what it will sell graded, then I will buy it even if I already have it.

My budget is the balance in my PayPal account. If I do not sell, I do not buy.

Of course I have been known to go over this budget regularly! :insane:

Scott :hi:

I don't set a budget. If I see a coin (or anything else) that I like and want to buy, I base my decision on how comfortable I feel spending the money. That decision would change month to month.

That's exactly how I spend money on coins.