• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 W Silver American Eagle

36 posts in this topic

I thought it would have been closer to a million also.This was the first year that if you ordered an Uncirculated A.S.E. from the U.S. Mint that you automatically received a (W) while in 2006 you had to request it.

The year isn't over yet and if you ask the U.S. Mint then they will tell you that production isn't complete and won't comment on production.

Still I am surprised that it isn't closer to 1 million. I thought that 250.000 2006 W had been minted so over 500,000 would be double.

I've been unable to tear my eyes away from this train-wreck of a thread for some morbid reason. It's been painful and I have been telling myself to quite reading, but I keep reading anyway.

CHABSENTIA, I have quoted your origianal post that made Conder raise the question, exactly as you posted it. While it may be true that 2007 was the first year that a SUBSCRIPTION was available for these "W" ASEs, nowhere in your post did the word "subscription" appear.

You have been misquoting and twisting the words of everyone who has replied to you and have now even started misquoting yourself.

I will be anxiously awaiting to find out how I will be misquoted next.

RGT, perhaps next year the Mint will send him the "W" and the coin to someone else.

Chris

I must be a masochist, but I had to respond to this one:

Then in a normal world with no mint errors you are going to have either a 2007 or 2007W. There might have been an error in sending me the coin but there is no error in the coin which would give it more value as was suggested that " I would have a valuable coin"Amazing that there was no comment on this statement.

The point you miss is that both W-mintmarked issues were burnished, while the plain bullion coins were not minted on burnished planchets. So let's map this out:

All 2006-W and 2007-W ASEs are Burnished

All 2006 and 2007 plain ASEs are NOT Burnished.

If you have a Burnished coin with no Mintmark it is RARE.

If you mistakenly assumed that the only difference between the coins are the mintmarks, then my comment made no sense to you. This sort of error would be similar to the bullion coins released in the late 1990s that were struck with proof dies by mistake (easy to tell, as they were not proofs but had mintmarks, if I recall correctly).

Now, let's see what else can be posted to this train wreck to suck me in again!

I must be a masochist, but I had to respond to this one:

Now, let's see what else can be posted to this train wreck to suck me in again!

Too late, I switched trains at Union Station. lol lol lol

Chris

The point you miss is that both W-mintmarked issues were burnished, while the plain bullion coins were not minted on burnished planchets.

Actually they ALL are minted on burnished planchets. After the planchets are annealed they have a heavy dull coating of oxides on them and they are ALL burnished in order to remove that oxide layer before they are struck.

They might use a different burnishing solution for the planchets intended for the W coins but I doubt it. Maybe I need to see the two side by side, but I haven't noticed a difference in the finish of the two coins.