• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #289 - Interested in "cash"?...............

22 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

Where was the term "cash" derived from?

Good Luck!

Our first place winner will receive a coupon for 1 note graded under the Standard grading tier. (You must have an active account with PMG, call PMG for details) There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it . Stop back this Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

It was either the French or the Italians who gave English this word - it was "casse" in French and "cassa" in Italian. Both meant "money box", but they had come to refer also to the money itself by the time English borrowed the word in the 16th century. Those Romance languages got casse/cassa from Latin capsa "box". English lost the "money box" meaning in the 18th century and kept only the "money" meaning, so that now we hear the term cash box, which is etymologically redundant!

It is derived from the latin term "cassa" for box, the English probably derived it from the French "Casse" or Italian "Cassa" meaning money box.

It stems from the Latin word for "box", cassa. Originally, the term was used by the French to refer to the "moneybox" holding any cash, but later the term applied to the cash itself.

I am afraid that I am going to cheat this time around... thhis is taken from wikipedia...

The English word cash is of the French caisse, itself a borrowing of the Provençal caissa. That Provençal word is a derivative of the Latin capsa (box, chest), most likely by way of an unattested Vulgar Latin form *capsea; Spanish caja and Portuguese caixa are their respective languages' reflexes.[1] [2] From the original sense of a box or a chest, the word came to refer to a sum of money such as was or might be contained in one, and eventually to specie or, with the elimination of metallic standards, banknotes.[1] In this sense, it is used in contrast to credit or other financial instruments.

The word "cash" can also be traced back to: Sanskrit karsa, a weight of gold or silver but akin to Old Persian karsha-, a weight. a unit of value equivalent to one cash coin.

I am always interested in cash lol

Cash stems from the Latin word for "box", cassa. later became moneybox and evolved into cashbox then shortened to cash

an early modern english (sixteenth century) shortening of "cashier" which in turn was derived from the middle french "cassaier" (money box), which in turn is derived from the latin. ultimately, the latin root "cas-" means box.

Question:

Where was the term "cash" derived from?

Answer:

The first bank note printed during the Great War Era (1368-1398) by the Ming Dynasty was known as a 1,000 cash note.

Unfortunately there are no winners this week.

Thanks for playing this weeks Numisma-Quest. Dont forget to stop by for this weeks NGC question.

i must disagree (i am a grammar professor, so this is my field of expertise). according to the oxford english dictionary, which is the official source for all things etymological, teh first recorded use of the word "cash" meaning "money" (and not money box) was 1596. about the same time, the chinese influence was noted (1598), but hte spelling was "caixa," while the first spelling as "cash" that can be attributed to the chinese was 1699.

please consider my reply.

thanks