• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this image convey that the coin is white?

17 posts in this topic

I'm (re)imaging a mainly bright white franklin and I'm trying to decide if I'm happy with the image. Does the lighting on the first image make the coin out to be white, or does it look too dark? How do you like the first image relative to the second one (other than the blown highlights in the second)?

I'd appreciate opinions.

47942-050-0026a.jpg.eaba75f554a0bc023fb94a2596f38da6.jpg

47943-050-0026b.jpg.efc62bbad8e9660519b9ea6548fac79a.jpg

To me they both make the coin look white. I think most people expect shades of grey on a white coin. However, I do see a slight brown rim tone on this coin. I know I have had several coins show a light brown tone in an image when the coin looked blast white in my hand. I think pictures make the slight tone show up more.

I'm having a hard time deciding which picture I like best. The second one is a bit overexposed in places but the first is a bit dark in places. Either one looks good to me.

I like the second image better as it looks like you have a more even dispersal of light across the entire Obverse......first one is too dark. Ultimately both images are high quality without the fuzziness that one typically see's around here....including on some of my own pics so kudos to you (thumbs u

I agree that both images make the coin appear to be white. My preference would be the first picture however, because it shows better detail without the blown highlights.

I like the second image better as it looks like you have a more even dispersal of light across the entire Obverse......first one is too dark. Ultimately both images are high quality without the fuzziness that one typically see's around here....including on some of my own pics so kudos to you (thumbs u

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. The second one gives a better idea of what the coin actually looks like, I think.

hm...

Two more shots:

Oddly enough, the second one of these is the exact same setup in terms of camera settings and lighting - only a slight tweak on the focus produced a darker image. Interesting.

47999-050-0026c.jpg.809e8f26e0d666d0bfddee23ad0523a7.jpg

48000-050-0026d.jpg.da01cd190c17422a706ba03140b22c43.jpg

After playing with it a while, I'm still coming back to image 1. To a degree, I think that this is a discussion of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Each of the images has its strong points. I tend to be most sensitive about blown highlights; some people seem to notice darker shadows more than highlights. This is all a game where the objective is to maximize detail and I think image 1 does that the best.

It's a little darker than some of the other ones, but it has a minimum of blown highlights, it clearly shows off the luster, the focus is satisfactory, and the shadows and highlights fall attractively on the portrait, allowing for maximum detail to show through. I'm happy with that.

Thanks for everyone's opinions - your input was appreciated!

050-0026v.jpg

I like the first image better. It seems when the image is a shade darker, more definition is seen in both the devices and luster. I'm sure the coin has even more luster than what you are able to capture. Very nice. (thumbs u

The first image is cleary the better one. Better exposure, better contrast -- just better.

I think all the images show the coin as "white", but the very first image is technically superior, in my opinon....Mike

p.s. the shot of the reverse is slightly overexposed -- a third to half a stop to my eyes.