• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got back late last night Empty Handed...well not really...

12 posts in this topic

Well I left early so that I would miss most of the traffic but wouldn't you know,,, DC is still mind boggling nuts to drive around..

It only took 2 hrs to get less than 20 miles but other than that it was a nice drive on a cold and dreary day..

I got there early and it was pretty hectic and nobody was near setup..

It wasn't till after lunch before anyone would even talk to you about buying so I got to do a lot of chatting to different dealers about coin stuff..

I came away with a weird sense of hesitation from most..

I got the sense that dealers weren't all that psyched up for the show and even seemed tense..

Maybe it was opening day jitters.

I only heard the letters CAC twice..

the first time was just a casual reference and a shrug..Not so much disinterest but more like "We'll See".

The second was a pretty venomous diatribe.. And here is just a suggestion to dealers..

S T F U when a potential customer comes up to the table..Keep your paranoia to yourself.. I just walked away.

Now as for the reason I went up.. I was selling..

I went with a number in my head..

Did I get that number.. No.I got about 5% less than I wanted but I'm happy.

He's happy and it was a fun trip.

I did come back with about 20 Morgans.

I renewed my membership with NGC and submitted 10 more Morgans and a Peace dollar.

As always The Ladies at the NGC table were awesome..

As an aside.. They put pcgs and NGC right next to each other...

But the pcgs area was pretty slow and the people behind the table were looking a bit board.

Another aside;

If you get a chance stop by the guys from Gainesville Coins..

A couple of really nice young guys out of Fla. who deserve to do well.

They may not be the most experienced coin guys out there but they seem to enjoy their business and are personable enough to make you want to go have a beer with them.

You can't help but root for guys like that.

Didn't sound real exciting there Mike. Well at least you got a little something accomplished. thanks for sharing!!
Actually it was great..

I get a kick out of people.

I learned a LOT about different aspects of our hobby..

:gossip: I didn't post it before but Laura was at the Legend table and she was checking me out.. hm

Kinda like a hobo checks out a roast beef sandwich..

Don't tell TDN but I think she was hot for me hm

If you are going to the show you will see some stunning coins...

And not to start a flame war, You will also see some of the reasons I have decided that the CAC is NOT a bad idea.

I saw more 66 holder-ed Morgans that were going for Crazy money that In my opinion barely made 65.

Also a blast from the past... I saw one dealer with 7 ACG graded gold pieces asking stoopid money for them.

Again,I just walked away.

I went up with a certain goal.. I achieved the goal and also learned a lot..

I met some really nice guys and I also met some used car salesmen.

There was one other fellow I met and I just can not remember his name who had the prettiest NGC Ms 68 Morgan...when I was done ogling it he said "Wait a minute" And pulls out the prettiest Pf 67/Star Barber half.

It had just a bit of haze in the field but the contrast was still incredible..

It was the kind of coin that made you change your collecting habit.

If I gave the impression I didn't have a great time I apologize..

The Only bad things were the $2.00 cups of black water and the $3.00 20 oz Pepsi's :popcorn:

Patrick

If you bought 20 Morgans and sold what you intended to sell and rejoined and sent off 10 coins, I would call that one heck of a good day. Congrats. Can't wait to see the coins. I'm sure you will show us the results of your labor. Thanks for the post.

:gossip: I didn't post it before but Laura was at the Legend table and she was checking me out.. hm

Patrick

The horror... the horror...

Hoot

Pat, sounds as if you made out just fine and met some new folks. Sorry I was not able to get there earlier but am trying for tomorrow.

Rey

It was a ton of fun Rey..You got to go..I would go for the day but I have my girl this weekend and we already had plans..

Patrick

The horror... the horror...

Hoot

lol It was iffy there for a bit Hoot..