• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp: 1832 Capped Bust Half (my first) - Guess the grade and share your thoughts

23 posts in this topic

Here is my first CBH purchase, made just the other day from a board member ATS. I've wanted a CBH for some time so I finally bit the bullet and bought one (I paid $200, which is up there for my collecting budget, but I felt like the price was right).

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the grade, the look, and anything else you care to share. Was the price about right? Anything you do / don't like about the coin? What's going on with the eagle's right foot? Overton number?? Educate me - be nice, but be honest :)

Once you've guessed the grade, you can highlight the line below this one (between the arrows) for the answer:

>>> 1832 PCGS XF-45 Small Letters <<<

Below are my first images of the coin. My white balance is a tad off, so the coin's a little more red/purple than it is in-hand. The spots above the bust are on the coin; the line through LIBERTY is on the slab.

Thanks!

1832-half.jpg

I like it. The coloring looks good to me with maybe an old dip. The only reason I say that is the color difference in the flat fields. I would say it is EF-45.

These have a pretty high relief, so this would likely grade EF40 at least, and maybe EF45. Looks like a decent coin.

I'm kind of split between VF 35 and XF 40.

Personally, I don't care for the look of the coin -- the dark toning next to the devices and the flat-looking fields makes me think the coin may have been cleaned in the past -- but then again, I'm not the one buying it...MIke

Dipped and retoned. I think PCGS overgraded this one (just from a details standpoint) by 5 points and from a net standpoint by at least 10.

This is not to say I don't like the coin. Actually, I do. I just think it is overgraded in that holder

Nice first CBH, Michael. I most certainly enjoyed my first. I would grade this NewP as EF40 and as an O-102. I feel the reverse is definitely a B and as the stars on the obverse are not extra close to milling nor attached to milling cinches the Overton as a 102. JMO. Many here are far better than myself at the Overton.

Again, nice coin, enjoy it.

Nice Bust Half that was struck very well with dies that had little wear, the stars aren't running to the rim yet and have nice detail on nearly all. I like the details become highlighted by the dark crusty toning. (thumbs u

I'll go XF40/45 and think this Bust Half is a great example for a type set. :applause:

I think this O-102 (R1) is properly graded, and $200 was a good price for it.

I especially like the "messed up" arrow heads on the reverse. Very nice first Bustie (thumbs u

Oddly enough, the year 1832 was the first Bust Half I bought last month from

the gals at JJ Teaparty.

I believe I posted it on the New Aquisitions post, so I won't post it here.

Nice look to your coin. I agree with Mark, et al, that's a nice XF 45.

Congratulations !!

For me, this bust half grades VF-30. I'm sorry, but $200 seems awfully high for this coin.

The good news is that it is a fun variety because of the botched arrowheads on the reverse, and I like the original surface quality. But $200? Just seems way too strong.

Here's a coin I just sold for $120 that I graded VF-30. It is an insanely original coin with no blemishes whatsoever, and is a better date than the 1832 to boot.

k182604.jpg

oops! I just saw the grade on your coin. Again, I'm sorry, but PCGS overgraded that coin significantly in my opinion. This is the reason I stay away from certified bust halves in circulated grades.

Heck, for $35 more, I would have sold you this significantly better date, and it's also PCGS XF-45! Although honestly, I think this coin is overgraded by five points, it looks ten points better than the 1832.

k182505.jpg

Man as bad as I hate to disagree with you James, I am. This is a NGC EF-35, and it doesn't have quite the details that pendragons has. There are more details in the eagles head & wings, and also in Liberty's clasp on his. I have to stick with EF-45 due to the extra details. I also agree with your EF-45 being 5 points over. It has a little more wear on the wing tips, talons, & liberty's clasp. JMO

1830CBHNGCVF35OR.jpg

The coin seems nice, I find however that the VF to EF grade range on bust halves is often the most controversial area in the entire grading scale! That said I think this is a sold VF-35, and maybe a nice EF-40 depending on the luster in hand.

I've been really enjoying sharing this coin with everyone and hearing all the opinions y'all have to offer. It's always fascinating to hear the varied perspectives of everyone regarding a coin. I think jtryka had it right when he called the VF to EF grading range controversial.

I'm curious about what's going on with the eagle's left foot (viewer's right) and the arrows on the reverse. I'm not sure whether that's a die state issue or a wear issue.

Thanks for the thoughts, and on-going opinions are certainly welcome.

I'll try and add a new photo later on when I get a chance.

I'm curious about what's going on with the eagle's left foot (viewer's right) and the arrows on the reverse. I'm not sure whether that's a die state issue or a wear issue...
I'm guessing that area is mostly the result of some weakness in strike which would also be apparent on the corresponding portion of the obverse.

I'm curious about what's going on with the eagle's left foot (viewer's right) and the arrows on the reverse. I'm not sure whether that's a die state issue or a wear issue...
I'm guessing that area is mostly the result of some weakness in strike which would also be apparent on the corresponding portion of the obverse.

Yep.

Straight out of Overton: Ref REV B

"Flat striking on olive stem, right claw and arrowheads."