• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Celebration of Gold Being Over $800 an ounce...

69 posts in this topic

Nice gold there Mozin.

Hey Rey, I see what RI AL is talking about also. Is that a reflection or some kind of strike-through? Looks like the right side of the Rec. has a nice die crack also. Maybe it's all in the same??

I am afraid I am going to need to cede to more knowledgable folks on here for the proper terminology and possible cause of the area/image you mention. The same type of noticeably raised type areas are also evident on the reverse. The coin has been cleaned, is ANACS slabbed with AU 58 Details, but these lines/areas are definitely part of the orginal coin. One of the better seen areas loops around the S in Dollars on the reverse.

Die Break, Flow Lines???? I am not sure. Just wish it wasnt cleaned.

Rey

)............I'm not sure but I don't think that gold prices will affect the cost of coins from the 1700's any time soon...

Unfortunately from a historical perspective high gold bullion prices have “trickled up” to affect the price of scarce to rare U.S. gold coins. Perhaps the logic is if gold bullion is good then numismatic interest PLUS gold bullion must be better. When the gold bullion prices declined, interest in these rarer coins did too, which brought down the prices for them as well.

I am afraid I am going to need to cede to more knowledgable folks on here for the proper terminology and possible cause of the area/image you mention. The same type of noticeably raised type areas are also evident on the reverse. The coin has been cleaned, is ANACS slabbed with AU 58 Details, but these lines/areas are definitely part of the orginal coin. One of the better seen areas loops around the S in Dollars on the reverse.

Die Break, Flow Lines???? I am not sure. Just wish it wasnt cleaned.

Rey

BillJones is right. Those raised areas on the $3 piece are called clash marks. If you look at the coin upside down you will see the image of the opposite side reversed. The curve around the S in Dollars is the curve at the back of the princess's neck.

Bill

Thank you apparently I did not see your response prior to my later post about this. A few questions though. Is this something common for this date and coin? Does it make any difference in collectability given that the coin has been cleaned? One thing that has always confused me is how to determine the marketabiliy og a cleaned coin let alone its fair market value. This is a ggod example of my quandry, if it was not cleaned and was AU 58 it's value would be quite nice.

Thanks

Rey

Billjones..

Thanks for the education! I have heard the term, "clashed dies" but don't know that I've seen one up close. Now I see the "design" on both sides.

Just curious, are coins with clashed dies considered "mint errors"?

Again, many thanks.

RI AL

Clash marks are not considered errors and don't normally affect the value. Some people (like me) like them. Other people don't. They are much more obvious on coins with large fields. They seem to be quite common in those series. I've particularly noticed them on gold dollars and three dollars, three cent pieces (silver and nickel), Morgans, bust halves, and Lincolns. However, they can occur on any coin.

Cleaning is another matter. It affects value and marketability significantly. I'm told that dealers decrease their offers for cleaned coins far more than do most collectors. That's why problem coins are such problems for collectors.

and the great coins keep coming, definately clashed dies...I have several 3 cent nickels with them (that's where I first discovered them) I thought I had a great mint error until someone explained it to me also. If you like clashed dies, then 3-cent nickels are for you--most dates have some examples, even the 1877

Here is Jon Reich's design for the $5 gold piece. You will note that he notched the 13 star as his "signature" just as he did on the Bust half dollars.

18115O.jpg18115R.jpg

This coin totally original. It's in a PCGS AU-55 holder. I've seen dipped and scrubbed up examples in MS-61 holders that I did not like nearly as well.

really beautiful coin there Bill. If it's ever up for sale, let me know!!!

Boy Chad, when I first saw that I thought it was an Indian head penny! Still nice, my 1836 was sea salvaged, in an ANACS holder with AU details net EF-45, so even though it looks nicer I can't put it in my registry set!

And as for lady Liberty looking like Rambo, I never thought of it before, but you're right, there is a resemblance!

WOW! I think I found my OWN clash marks. Not quite sure so I'll zip up the pictures a bit. Now that I think of it, I may have a dime or half dime somewhere that had some funny stuff on it. I wonder if I can find it???

RI AL

clashobv001.jpg

clashrev.jpg

Nope, clash marks don't show real well. OH well, Al...nice try. Maybe later I'll see if I still have that seated dime that was kinda' clashy...

RI AL

You're good, Bosshog! Yes, on the reverse above the AR as you stated, and there is sort of a weak image in front of the bust as well. Wow...I'm impressed!

RI AL