• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Celebration of Gold Being Over $800 an ounce...

69 posts in this topic

Post some Gold!!!!

Besides, I think I have the lighting angle just right and my pics are really hitting the mark, so why not post some pics!!!!

100_0889.jpg

100_0888.jpg

Very nice Gold ya'll. Chad, nice to se ya again. Haven't seen you post in a while. Well this is the only gold I have. Couldn't bear to put it on ebay, my wife bought for me for Christmas before last.

2005tenthozgoldeagleobvrev.jpg

Hey Bobby! Been having some computer problems as of late, but everything's up and running now. Thanks for the warm welcome back!

Here's another I can throw into the pot:

8477e897.jpg

ba52b0f3.jpg

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I’m not all pleased that gold has reached $800+ and ounce. The higher the gold price goes, the fewer coins I will be able to purchase. The price could also fall, which would cause those who bought coins that high level to lose money. I was a collector in 1980 when the price hit $855. Then the bubble broke and the price melted.

However in the spirit of the thread here is my favorite gold coin from my collection. As most of you know the same designs were used on multiple denominations for most 18th and 19th century coins. This small eagle with the laurel wreath in its beak was the last major U.S. coin design that I did not own.

1795HalfEagleO.jpg1795HalfEagleR.jpg

Here is Jon Reich's design for the $5 gold piece. You will note that he notched the 13 star as his "signature" just as he did on the Bust half dollars.

18115O.jpg18115R.jpg

This coin totally original. It's in a PCGS AU-55 holder. I've seen dipped and scrubbed up examples in MS-61 holders that I did not like nearly as well.

Wow... (worship) and again...wow (worship)............I'm not sure but I don't think that gold prices will affect the cost of coins from the 1700's any time soon... :grin:...for what it's worth, my favorite gold pieces all have sailing ships...Bermuda, Barbados, Mongolia and Bermuda again..

47661-MVC-418S.JPG.db165993f888af990a5a19f5347707a6.JPG

47662-MVC-419S.JPG.5c42becebde4eaed8d5bceddbf518629.JPG

47663-MVC-420S.JPG.84deb0e4cb55ebdea2310f93be0e7710.JPG

47664-MVC-421S.JPG.684c1b9f840fcb858314e90d730915c2.JPG

Hi, Rey.

Gorgeous $3 piece!!! I am curious about the second image that appears in front of the face. Looks like a shield, but further down there is possibly a neckline. Any ideas what's going on?

RI AL

Hi, Rey.

Gorgeous $3 piece!!! I am curious about the second image that appears in front of the face. Looks like a shield, but further down there is possibly a neckline. Any ideas what's going on?

RI AL

The dies are very heavily clashed on both sides. By clashed, I mean that the obverse and reverse dies came together with out a planchet (coin blank) between them. What you see is the outline of the wreath on the obverse and the outline of the bust on the reverse.