• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got a nice, but overgraded coin.

38 posts in this topic

I just got a 1859 half dime in PCGS65.

The coin has pretty color with ok luster and strike.

I like it, but the problem is it has more hits than it should.

I'm not good at grading coins, but I think the coin is barely 64 ......but I still like it :/

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Would you retun it because it's overgraded or would you keep it because you like it? I'm just curious.

According to CDN, 1859 half dime is $1175 in 65 and $500 in 64.

I paid a bit over 65 money.

I would return it! I like to get what I pay for. I just returned an 1877 IHC that was graded PCGS AU-58. I was trying to trade in my PCGS AU-58 1877 IHC + monies to purchase the coin the dealer had advertised on-line which I felt was superior to the one I already owned. Well the coin I received was not the same coin he had shown in his photos and listed as the PCGS AU-58. Seems a clerical error had switched photos with an NGC -MS-61 coin he also had for sale. Sounds alot like the old shell game to me ! The piece had a planchet crack 3/4 of the way across the reverse and a small lamination there as well plus some type of light green residue adhering to the obverse,an inferior piece to say the least, that probably would have been net graded ( details grade) at NGC or ANACS. Well to make this long drawn out story a bit shorter. I returned his coin and was out $75 in shipping and insurance (shipping my coin insured and returning his coin insured) because of his error in advertising. I think it will be quite some time before I bother with trying to make a purchase from that dealer again. He definitely needs to get his sh.. straight. I will purchase a satisfactory piece but I can guarantee it will certainly not come from that dealer period !!!!! There are tons of other dealers as well as auctions and other venues to purchase coins. It may not have been a blue chip purchase by some standards but I`m sure that my annual five figure coin related expenditures will be appreciated elsewhere. rantrant

I just got a 1859 half dime in PCGS65.

The coin has pretty color with ok luster and strike.

I like it, but the problem is it has more hits than it should.

I'm not good at grading coins, but I think the coin is barely 64 ......but I still like it :/

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Would you retun it because it's overgraded or would you keep it because you like it? I'm just curious.

According to CDN, 1859 half dime is $1175 in 65 and $500 in 64.

I paid a bit over 65 money.

1859 half dimes are not rare, and the type is very common. You should have no problem finding an MS-65 that looks like one to you. Even if the coin is technically graded MS-65, there is obviously something about it that bothers you. I would return it and not think twice about doing so.

Thanks for replies.

Seems like everyone is negative about keeping the coin.

But I would like to change my question and ask this way.

How much would you pay if you find a nice 1859 half dime in PCGS64?

As wrote in my first post, the coin is worth $500 in 64 and $1175 in 65.

I would have paid at least $800 even if it were in 64 holder.

And I'm sure I'll miss this coin if I retuen it.

By the way, I vought this coin from David Lawrence Internet Auction, so I'm not sure if I can return it to begin with :grin:

If you don't like the coin return it! I can't say anything about grading half dimes because I can't see them! If the coin is smaller than a nickel I just can't see enough of it to even tell what I have in hand!

But I would like to change my question and ask this way.

How much would you pay if you find a nice 1859 half dime in PCGS64?

Less than what you paid for this one. :)

Greg, I agree.

I think I paid too much and I might not have bid on it if I had known it was overgraded in the first place.

But I already recieved it and I like it.....no matter what.

If it were $4000 in MS65 and $2000 in MS64, I think I would try to return this coin.

But I have a feeling I'll cherish this coin for a long time...............even though I overpaid too much :grin:

Mark, I hope you'll find nice one like this at $600 for me then :grin:

I don't mind owning a duplicate if it's nice :)

i returned a coin to david lawrence that i bought on internet auction. i think they let you do it so long as you don't make a habit out of it.

Thank you for the usuful info.

I might return a coin to them in the future, but I'll keep this coin.

Anyway, here's the image of my 1859 half dime.

1859P65.jpg

The image doesn't show well, but there are several hits on obverse left field.

But, at the same time, I hope you'll understand why I'm reluctant to return this coin.

wow, I wasn't expecting that when you said it was overgraded and barely a 64....If I were a grader I probably would have overlooked a few ticks (even the one on the chin) and given this a 65............maybe they felt the OBV was 64 and the REV was 66 and came to 65, I can't say that I understand the workings of the minds of graders--even after years of daily study and thousands in submission fees......

Keep It, it brings you joy and it's beautiful...

i returned a coin to david lawrence that i bought on internet auction. i think they let you do it so long as you don't make a habit out of it.

Thank you for the usuful info.

I might return a coin to them in the future, but I'll keep this coin.

Anyway, here's the image of my 1859 half dime.

1859P65.jpg

The image doesn't show well, but there are several hits on obverse left field.

But, at the same time, I hope you'll understand why I'm reluctant to return this coin.

Pretty coin, Taro. :)

Pretty coin, Taro. :)

Yes, and that's why I'm going to keep it ,but it IS overgraded IMO.

You can't see all the marks on the left obverse field from the image.

And I would have tried to return this coin if it were worth $4000 in 65 and $2000 in 64 because of the big diffeence in price ;)

Thank you all for opinions.

I think I'll keep this coin for long time, but if you happen to see this coin for sale, watch out for left obverse field :grin:;)

Nice coin. 64 or 65, it's still nice.

Considering the size of the coin and the size of the image I can understand it being in a 65 holder. I would guess the image is about 20X and I still love it.:)

Nice coin. 64 or 65, it's still nice.

Considering the size of the coin and the size of the image I can understand it being in a 65 holder. I would guess the image is about 20X and I still love it.:)

That's a good point Larry. I don't think the nics being seen are all that bad considering how small the coin is. I think it's a nice looking half dime!

I'd send it back. 1859 is not a rare date although it is a minor one year type. Therefore you can be quite confident that another 1859 will come along.

The rule is the smaller and lighter weight the coin, the less tolerance there is for hits. Half dimes are among the smallest of all U.S. coins. Therefore the marks on an MS-65 graded piece should be really minor. In fact for most people (but not a nearsighted guy like I am) you should need a 10X glass to see those hits. If you can see the hits or marks without a glass, they are too large and numerous.

Edited say ...

I just saw the picture. I believe that the coin probably is an MS-65, but I see your point about the minor abrasions on the obverse. The MS-65 grade that this coin received is based upon originality and luster IMO. That trumped the marks in the eyes of the grader. If the marks had not been as obvious, the coin would have gotten an MS-66 or even MS-67. Remember MS-65 IS NOT a perfect coin.

This really comes down to taste. If the marks really bug you, send it back; but be advised that the dealer has fairly represented the coin. It is an MS-65, but it might not be the right MS-65 for you.

You paid what you thought it was worth to you. They have a return policy. The choice is yours. Do you always make your own personal decisions by committee ?

Isn't that what this forum is for, to sometimes get opinions and advice from friends and forum members?