• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, How Did You Pick Your NGC Name(s)?

93 posts in this topic

The other day, on the Registry board, braddick asked me why my Registry name was Anonymous when my user name is TomB. I thought that that question would be interesting to post to everyone here so that is why this thread is here.

My NGC name is TomB for fairly obvious reasons at this point. It's an abbreviation of my name. It's also the name I registered at PCGS when their forums started up and I wanted to let people know that it was me on both boards so I kept the name the same.

However, my NGC Registry name is Anonymous and that was because I found the NGC Registry to be not very intuitive. That is, when I tried to register I thought I could just link my information from the coin boards to the Registry and would simply be TomB on both venues. The NGC Registry, though, asked for an email address as the user name to login and this made me think I might be doing something wrong in the sign up process. So, I signed up as Anonymous to use the account as a test account in case I screwed up. As it turned out, I didn't screw up, and since I was one of the first to register, I could choose virtually any name I wanted. Since I am so open on the boards as to who I am, I thought it might be a nice change of pace to take the Anonymous name, even though I knew I would tell people it was me.

I have one active set on the NGC Registry and it is in the complete US type set category even though it is a not-near-complete-and-never-will-be-near-complete set. Something about the expense of the Draped Bust/Small Eagle type half makes me realize it will never be complete. Anyway, I did research for many years into the molecular basis of leukemia, specifically, acute promyelocytic leukemia. This type of leukemia is caused when two chromosomes, numbers 15 and 17, break and then recombine in an inappropriate manner within a cell. They typically break at a predefined position on each chromosome. On chromosome 15 they break at the gene known as PML while on chromosome 17 they break at the gene known as RAR alpha. When they recombine they fuse these two genes together to form a gene that causes leukemia, PML-RAR alpha. The abbreviation for the chromosomal break and recombination at this point is t(15;17) PML-RAR alpha. So, I named my set that and realized that only a physician or scientist intimately familiar with leukemias would ever know what it meant.

Okay, I'm a dork! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, who wants to explain their name(s)? smile.gif

Okay, I'm a dork! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's okay, I am a dork too! acclaim.gif Actually, all of my registry sets are named after famous passenger trains from the golden age of railroads. So if there are any railfans out there you should be able to pick out my sets. hi.gif

Oldtrader3 is the name that I used on the Stock Chat Boards (i.e: my.yahoo.com). I picked the name because back in the late 1960's, I was a Stock Trader for several Canadian Mining stocks in Toronto.

Mine is simply derived from my last name. I acquired the nickname Goose Many years ago in grade school. It was easier to say than Guisinger.

I am also the 3rd or III !

I am so vain that we have a Goose4! confused-smiley-013.gif

It is also the name I use on the other side of the street.

Hoot! Damn, I wish I had something clever to say here! foreheadslap.gif Last name Hooten, somewhere out of Dutch-German descent. 893blahblah.gif

My sets are all nickels and all have obvious epithets. Just FYI, Bison bison is the Latin epithet for the American Bison, who looks like this ---> sumo.gif up close. (Plenty of 'em around here).

Tom - I like the chromosomal reference! (But don't take it ot bed with ya 27_laughing.gif) Goose: the fourth? Wow! 893whatthe.gif EVP, you are a man of a thousand names and a real dog if you ask me. devil.gif Jeff, I like the train idea! OT3, you didn't do what Goose did, did ya? stooges.gif

Hoot

insane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gifinsane.gifflowerred.gif

Tom,

OT, but someone very dear to me was diagnosed 8 years ago with CLL, and at diagnosis was stage III. Thanks to aggressive clinical trials of Campath, they are currently in their 8th year of full remission. Having read more than I intended to about the disease and the markers, I thought I got the reference. If no one else ever takes time to tell you, research matters. wink.gif

AmishMike didn't sound as catching as IrishMike with all due respect to my fraternal grandparents. You can not walk around the ND campus without chills going down your spine. My collections are named after the grotto at ND.

grotto2-lg.jpg

I guess I forgot to mention, my name on the forums is just my first initial and last name. As for my sets, they are all listed under one user name which is named for this train:

CON4.JPG

That photo was taken in 1957. That one is not really my favorite train (I am a big fan of the Burlington Zephyrs, something about the elegance of stainless steel moving across the plains at 120 mph does it for me), but the name seemed appropriate for the registry. Anyone have any guesses as to the name? popcorn.gif

My name is Andrew, and my best friend's (of 30 years) nick name for me has always been Android. Unfortunately, some think that maybe I'm a coin collector AND a Star Trek geek, 893whatthe.gif which I am not....My registry sets are listed under my initials AGW.

My message board handle referenced the place where I lived when I first registered.

A long time ago I originally thought that EVillageProwler meant that you were a prowler on "e sites". I knew you were a computer guy and e-things were all over the place and everything was an e-something. I just assumed that you prowled internet sites.

My Collector's Society / Registry handle is named after a very important part of my personal life.

Yes, but I honestly think the EVPenis Collection was an awful name choice for your sets. 893naughty-thumb.gif

My name is pretty self-explanatory. My first internet account username was limited to 8 characters so it was the first letter of my first name and the FIRST 7 letters of my last name.

My registry set, which doesn't exist yet, is called The Slightly Evil Collection™ and I believe I earned that name when I made the comment on these forums that I used to use Unix until I realized the vast superiority of Windows 3.0:

Personally, I hate my user name Kingofthejungle. I actually visited here 2-3 months before having to re-register to post here more often. But at that time, the thought of messing around with the dumb name to test out the NGC site, so far, has proved to be unchangeable. I don't like leothelyon either, as it's spelled wrong with a "Y". I just can't win! Perhaps, I don't know who I really am?!! confused.gif

Leo 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

Leo,

If you ever figure out your real online ID and come up with a handle that you like, then you can change your account to it. Or, Arch can do it for you. (I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself.)

You'll still have to log in under the old name, but it shows up as under the new name.

EVP

NWCS stands for my initials. My registry ID is Neil2. Mostly because of a bug in the NGC system when I was changing my email address. It forced me to change my name from Neil while I was changing the rest of the info. It may be fixed now, this was a while ago.

Sorry, but Laura already took that title.

Actually, I thought of her for this!

wink.gif

EVP

She wanted Mini Mean and Evil™ and asked me if it was OK to use it across the street. 27_laughing.gif

Well, actually I just wanted to be plain old numismatist when I signed up for an email account or maybe my ebay account a long time ago - but that name was already taken - couldn't believe it!! I've only been collecting coins since 1949 (Got a Lincoln penny coin album/board for Christmas when I was 4 years old - so I began puttin pennies in it that I found in circulation) When I found out that the correct spelling of numismatist was taken, I figured since I was still learning, I could be NEWmismatist - so, even though I'm an old collector, I'm still a NEWmismatist - just started collecting CWTs - there's only about 8-10,000 or so of them, so I'll still be a newmismatist for the next 10-20 years while I learn about them (also discovered tokens & medals - just bought a Cogan medal & an Idler medal - & they were buying coins directly from the mint in the 1850's!) Anyway, I figure as long as I'm learning, I'm still new so, it'll be a long time before I get to be an old numismatist. crazy.gif

My screen/registry name comes from my love of fishing. I live near a river which gets a large run of king (CHINOOK) salmon every year. I just love catching those 20-40# tackle busting fish. My largest was 39# and is hanging on the wall in my office. Here is a pic. This fish on top is a Coho salmon.

271978-DSC00303.JPG.2161303ca48d77c8d5787773895520d5.JPG