• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I now own all the Franklin Half Dollar books

15 posts in this topic

That is, all the ones I know about. I just got the last one today. I have always been a believer in "Buy the book before the coin." While alot of these are not important, it has kind of turned into a mini collection all on its own. Are there any missing from my list? Discuss the ones you know about.

Author: Lyman Allen

Title: The Franklin Half Dollar collector/investor guide, 2nd ed.

Date: 1983

Description: I just got this one today. There was apparently a surge in interest in Franklin half collecting in the early 1980s, and the books that came out at this time are testament to this. They all tout the benefits of FBL coins, and make wild predictions about which dates are going to outperform. In this book and the Ehrmantraut book, it is interesting to see which dates are considered scarce, and how that changed with the newest info in the NGC census and the Tomaska book.

Author: Elston G. Bradfield

Title: Franklin in Numismatics

Date: 1982

Description: I only found out about this book two weeks ago, by a happy chance on Ebay. While this one doesn't focus on the Franklin half dollar really, it is a fascinating overview of Franklin's contribution to numismatics and early American monetary policy. The first half of the book concerns Franklin and his efforts, especially advocating and printing paper money. The second half of the book covers Franklin and his medallic/coin issues, and medals and tokens which feature Franklin himself.

Author: Jack Ehrmantraut

Title: An Analysis of Gem Franklin Half Dollars

Description: Like the Allen book above, this book is outdated and useful only as a historic view of Franklin half collecting. My copy is signed by the author.

Authors: Kevin Flynn and John Wexler

Title: Treasure Hunting Franklin And Kennedy Half Dollar Doubled Dies

Date: 2003

Description: Vital to any Franklin variety collector. While it does not include everything in the Coneca master list, there are dozens and dozens of varieties listed here, with many large and detailed pictures. The varieties included are the most popular and available. I would like it if they issued a second expanded edition that included notable RPMs as well, because there aren't too many RPMs in the Franklin series. My copy is autographed by the author.

Author: Rick Tomaska

Title: The Complete Guide to Franklin Half Dollars, 2nd ed.

Date: 2002

Description: The Franklin Bible. Everything you need to know about Franklin half dollars, including a bit of history, grading guides, (outdated) census info, FBL statistics, strike characteristics, usual toning characteristics, notable examples, and proof issues. Tomaska is the leading Franklin dealer of today, and his book is required reading for any Franklin collector.

Title: Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage of the 1950 to 1970 era

Date: 1991

Description: In depth coverage of proof issues of the stated era, including all denominations minted. There are large photos illustrating the best cameo dies, and a really cool montage showing the gradual progression of cameo states from brilliant to Ultra cameo. A great book, and essential for proof collectors of this era.

Gee, can you tell me where you got those half dollar books? All of mine have costed $20-200 each. lol

I'll bookmark this, and if I ever come across one that you don't have, I'll be sure to let you know.

Chris

Actually, the only book I have covering just half dollars is "Kennedy Halves: An Attribution and Pricing Guide" by James Wiles. It was published by J. T. Stanton's former company, and he was kind enough to sell me a proof copy for $20.

Chris

Excellent! You've got way more books than me. I might recommend the first book written about Cameo Proofs of that Era. It is:

Cameo Proofs: 1950-1964, written by Val J. Webb. It's call # in the ANA library is:

GA80

W4.

That is, all the ones I know about. I just got the last one today. I have always been a believer in "Buy the book before the coin." While alot of these are not important, it has kind of turned into a mini collection all on its own. Are there any missing from my list? Discuss the ones you know about.

Author: Lyman Allen

Title: The Franklin Half Dollar collector/investor guide, 2nd ed.

Description: I just got this one today. There was apparently a surge in interest in Franklin half collecting in the early 1980s, and the books that came out at this time are testament to this. They all tout the benefits of FBL coins, and make wild predictions about which dates are going to outperform. In this book and the Ehrmantraut book, it is interesting to see which dates are considered scarce, and how that changed with the newest info in the NGC census and the Tomaska book.

Author: Elston G. Bradfield

Title: Franklin in Numismatics

Date: 1982

Description: I only found out about this book two weeks ago, by a happy chance on Ebay. While this one doesn't focus on the Franklin half dollar really, it is a fascinating overview of Franklin's contribution to numismatics and early American monetary policy. The first half of the book concerns Franklin and his efforts, especially advocating and printing paper money. The second half of the book covers Franklin and his medallic/coin issues, and medals and tokens which feature Franklin himself.

Author: Jack Ehrmantraut

Title: An Analysis of Gem Franklin Half Dollars

Description: Like the Allen book above, this book is outdated and useful only as a historic view of Franklin half collecting. My copy is signed by the author.

Authors: Kevin Flynn and John Wexler

Title: Treasure Hunting Franklin And Kennedy Half Dollar Doubled Dies

Date: 2003

Description: Vital to any Franklin variety collector. While it does not include everything in the Coneca master list, there are dozens and dozens of varieties listed here, with many large and detailed pictures. The varieties included are the most popular and available. I would like it if they issued a second expanded edition that included notable RPMs as well, because there aren't too many RPMs in the Franklin series. My copy is autographed by the author.

Title: The Complete Guide to Franklin Half Dollars, 2nd ed.

Date: 2002

Description: The Franklin Bible. Everything you need to know about Franklin half dollars, including a bit of history, grading guides, (outdated) census info, FBL statistics, strike characteristics, usual toning characteristics, notable examples, and proof issues. Tomaska is the leading Franklin dealer of today, and his book is required reading for any Franklin collector.

Title: Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage of the 1950 to 1970 era

Date: 1991

Description: In depth coverage of proof issues of the stated era, including all denominations minted. There are large photos illustrating the best cameo dies, and a really cool montage showing the gradual progression of cameo states from brilliant to Ultra cameo. A great book, and essential for proof collectors of this era.

YOU GOT ALL THE GOOD ONES (thumbs u

Excellent! You've got way more books than me. I might recommend the first book written about Cameo Proofs of that Era. It is:

Cameo Proofs: 1950-1964, written by Val J. Webb. It's call # in the ANA library is:

GA80

W4.

I have one of these books, not easy to find at all, I feel I got mine relatively cheap, I think it was about $15. If you're into pictures, best off to stick with the Tomaska books.

There is at least one more Franklin book:

The Authoritative Reference on Franklin Half Dollars, by Kevin Flynn. I contributed photographs and an article to this one, and it is a pretty interesting book and variety guide.

http://www.kevinjflynn.com/books/the-authoritative-reference-on-franklin-half-dollars/

When I originally posted this thread in 2007, Flynn's book hadn't come out yet. I kept meaning to pick it up, but then I sold most of my Franklins.

Time to start fresh, with a new perspective!