• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 SMS / Satin Finish Quality

13 posts in this topic

Anyone else look thru some of these sets? Awful quality. The quality is much poorer than last year. I found very few coins I'd call MS69 and most were MS64-MS66 quality.

Pathetic work by the Mint.

Also, the packaging is unbelievably cheesy.

I guess the people at the Mint realized that too, too many were grading high, and that was causing the value to drop. It makes sense, at least to the Mint, that if they produced more cr@ppy coins, values would begin to climb and customers would have to buy more units to find better specimens.

Chris

Well for some reason I can't seem to get my lighting right today. I'll bet it will be hard to get an MS70 on one of these Wyoming Qtrs. They have such a flat surface, that it would be hard to not get dinged easily. I thought this one might grade MS67. I was bored today and thought I'd just post something.

2007WyQtr005.jpg

From the mint's website:

"In 2004, Governor Dave Freudenthal formed the Wyoming Coinage Advisory Committee, which includes 13 Wyoming historians and other experts. The State invited citizens to submit narratives, and approximately 3,200 were accepted over a three-month period. Governor Freudenthal then recommended five concepts that were developed into design candidates by the United States Mint sculptor-engravers and artists in the United States Mint's Artistic Infusion Program. On May 12, 2006, Governor Freudenthal announced his recommendation of the bucking horse and rider design.

The Department of the Treasury approved the design on June 22, 2006. Four other designs were considered, including "Bucking Horse and Rider with State Outline;" "Bucking Horse and Rider with Teton Range;" "Bucking Horse and Rider in typical Wyoming scene," depicting a horse and rider on a ranch; and "Yellowstone National Park — Old Faithful Geyser," featuring the famous geyser located in Yellowstone National Park."

Sounds to me like any of those others might have been more interesting. Why is the horse and rider just a flat outline? This could have been a gorgeous coin if they would have at least added some detail to the horse and rider.

Why is the horse and rider just a flat outline? This could have been a gorgeous coin if they would have at least added some detail to the horse and rider.

It's flat just like the silhouette on their license plate. Personally, I don't see that there was any creativity in this design at all.

Chris

Why is the horse and rider just a flat outline? This could have been a gorgeous coin if they would have at least added some detail to the horse and rider.

It's flat just like the silhouette on their license plate. Personally, I don't see that there was any creativity in this design at all.

Chris

:gossip: It's hard to see because there isn't any.

I thought that Wyoming, with Devil's Tower, the Teton's, the Big Horn mountains and all the other beautiful vistas would have more art on their quarter then on their license plate.

It is not about beautifull coins for them. It is about who they are as a whole and what people know them by which is that horse and cowboy...

In that case, Florida should have used a Canada Goose! Maryland should have used a man catching crabs. :devil: New York should have used a streetful of cabbies. North Carolina should have used moonshiners running from the Feds - the original NASCAR. California should have used mudslides and earthquakes. Indiana should have used the "Fighting Irish". Minnesota should have used Leif Ericson. Can anyone think of any more?

The issue isn't about beautiful cowboys, horses or coins. It's about being a tad bit creative with the design.

Chris

Four of the five finalist designs used the cowboy and bronco design, just with different backgrounds. The with design backgrounds the one with just the plain field. On the three with design backgrounds the cowboy and bronco were with detail. The one with the plain field was just with the silhouette. I find it hard to believe that the whole state voted for a design with no design. I suspect the governor just had no imagination and selected the one he liked.