• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i want some cleaned coins slabbed..

26 posts in this topic

so ANACS it is..

i've looked around and i've seen some slabs say 'unc details, cleaned' and some say something like 'ms64 details, cleaned'

i want a number assigned to the grade, otherwise it's a waste i think.

is there any way to know what'll happen before i send them - some sort of 'rule'? do i need to request this or something?

I believe ANACS will always use MS60 details for all MS coins with problems. I've never seen one with higher numbers, but they may have done that in the past. Anything less than MS will get a details grade with the actual number such as AU53 or VF25.

so ANACS it is..

i've looked around and i've seen some slabs say 'unc details, cleaned' and some say something like 'ms64 details, cleaned'

is there any way to know what'll happen before i send them - some sort of 'rule'? do i need to request this or something?

Every problem coin I have sent to ANACS was graded "MS60 Details" and slabbed in the old ANACS holder. I think their policy is to grade uncirculated or uncirculated-looking problem coins as "MS60 Details" also noting the problem.

Scott :hi:

I have never been able to understand what the problem is with cleaned coins as long as it is done in a pro manner. Cleaned coins look real good as long as care is taken not to remove no more of the coin than is necessary. I have cleaned coins to good results so I don't see a problem

I have never been able to understand what the problem is with cleaned coins as long as it is done in a pro manner. Cleaned coins look real good as long as care is taken not to remove no more of the coin than is necessary. I have cleaned coins to good results so I don't see a problem
The first thing is to define what you mean by cleaning vs. what may not be considered cleaning by some numismatists, e.g. acetone. What procedures do you mean when you say "cleaned."

Must be missing something here.If you send a coin to NGC and it has been cleaned then you will get it back in a "body bag ' with the notation "cleaned:. There is no grade.No nothing.There is a little note that you might be able to send it to NCS

Last I heard you will need to specify on the ANACS submission form that you want a details grade showing on the holder insert. Also heard ANACS is now using their newest style holder even for problem coins.

I like ANACS, but there's a rumor...RUMOR only, that PCGS is considering slabbing cleaned/problem coins. I have a few cleaned pieces in my collection too...but am going to wait a while to see if PCGS really does offer this new service or it's just a rumor.

By the way, I am fine with ANACS as well, just PCGS has more"acceptance".

RI Al

Regarding NCS, they will slab and certify as genuine to my understanding, but they do not assign a grade. Am I wrong on this?

RI AL

Howdy and welcome, RI AL. It isn't so much of a rumor that PCGS might slab net grade coins as it has been an email sent on behalf of the President of PCGS to folks inquiring about the acceptance of such a business decision. If they are asking about this possibility then it is likely they have thought about its implementation for a while.

I don't see anything wrong with cleaned coins

Please defind cleaned...

As for the original Question.. call ANACS up and see what is going on. I am sue they could tell you over the phone whats going on.

I don't see anything wrong with cleaned coins

What is wrong with cleaned coins is that many of them are not considered "market acceptable". Those that are not "market acceptable" are not supposed to be graded by a service such as NGC or PCGS. The reason for this is that most collectors or at least the ones who show a preference by paying the "big" prices and do most of the buying in financial terms are not willing to pay the same for a cleaned versus an original coin. I have noticed since I started reading these posts that many people on these boards are very particular, more so than I am probably,

As long as this preference exists, anyone who does not sufficiently consider the economic impact will do so to their detriment, regardless of whether we individually agree with this or not. Now if the collector is aware of this preference and does not care about financial considerations, that is up to them.

I happen to specialize in a handful of world coin series. For those that I do collect, a NGC or PCGS reject will sell for a small fraction of a graded coin. The only way I will knowingly buy a coin that will not grade is to buy it for a substantial discount. And even then, I will only do so occasionally, such as when I cannot find an original coin in high grade and the cleaned coin still has good eye appeal. As far as I am concerned, most of these coins are "dead" money and I have no interest in spending any significant amount on a coin or my collection that will either lose or at best maintain its value.

What is wrong with cleaned coins is that many of them are not considered "market acceptable".

Not "market acceptable" huh. So go to any dealer who has some of these cleaned not "market acceptable" coins in his case and tell them that since the market will not accept them you'll take them off his hands at bullion or face whichever is higher. Be prepared to handle an irate dealer. There is no such thing as not market acceptable. Everything has a market at the right price. When they say not market acceptable, what they mean is not marketable for full price (of an undamaged specimen) Sure YOU may not want a VF 16-D dime with a scratch because you can afford an undamaged one. But there are a lot of lower budget collectors out there who would love to have it in their collection. Especially if the only way they can afford a problem free coin is as a Fr-2..

I do not know what the poster who used this quote knows or does not know. And I do not know what both of you collect and I do not care. You or anyone else are free to buy whatever coins you want. They are yours and not mine. I was trying to explain the financial considerations as I see them. If you do not agree with them, that is up to you.

As for the term "market acceptable", I agree with your statement which is why I used quotes.

so ANACS it is..

Every problem coin I have sent to ANACS was graded "MS60 Details" and slabbed in the old ANACS holder. I think their policy is to grade uncirculated or uncirculated-looking problem coins as "MS60 Details" also noting the problem.

Scott :hi:

I believe there are some that specify "Unc details ....".

Condor101. Until about 4 or 5 years ago, I wouldn't "allow" a cleaned coin in my collection. I guess I was on the fence between collector and "investment conscious". I guess I am still, but I have made some good inroads on coins I could not ordinarily afford. I made several purchases from Boston shows, E-Bay and dealers that were awfully good deals even though they were cleaned. I got a 1795 dollar for $850 on E-Bay...sent it to SEGS when they first entered the slab market and it came back VF 25 Cleaned. It has retoned somewhat but you can still tell it's not natural. My 1797 dollar ANACS net VF 20 10x6 is cleaned but has richly retoned. I'm very pleased with it AND the price.

Interestingly, my 1803 dollar has 90% or more luster but was purchased certified as PCGS 30. I believe it has been cleaned...but I seem to remember somewhere that PCGS will do that under certain circumstances. I'm pleased with the coin, and the price.

More recently, I bought an 1844 O half dollar on E-Bay, raw and sent it to PCGS with a few other pieces. It came back in a body bag, labeled Cleaned. It sure looked naturally richly toned to me but I trust their opinion. My very dark brown 1839 cent Booby head came back "environmentally damaged" but I have a much darker Chain cent PCGS F-2 that is nearly black.

In any event, cleaned are now allowed if I can't find or afford better. I guess that's the "collector side" of me.

RI AL

Some good discussion regarding cleaned coins. I have several both silver and gold that were already part of our collection. Unfortunaely I do not know there original cost. But I have always struggled with how does one determine a reasonable value of a cleaned coin. I relize that many factors would come into play but any thoughts or past experiences would be welcome.

Rey

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NCS will grade an improperly cleaned coin, so long as it is genuine and has not been altered in a fraudulent manner. There are two options: Non-numeric grading (ex: XF DETAILS IMPROPERLY CLEANED) or simply GENUINE, for when you don't want the problem issues mentioned on the label. The submitter has the option of selecting either path.

When in doubt as to whether a coin is gradeable, it's better to submit it directly to NCS. Should the evaluator decide that the coin is acceptable for NGC grading, it will be moved over to NGC for a small transfer fee. If not, you will still have the safety net of NCS grading. This transfer process does not work in the other direction, however. An improperly cleaned coin submitted directly to NGC will get body-bagged.