• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lousy Coin Gifts….What do you do?

17 posts in this topic

What do you do with lousy coins that you receive as gifts? As an example I recently received 8 Indian Head cents from my aunt that are worth a total of about $2.00. It’s not worth my time to image and sell them and I don’t care to own them, so what should I do?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Keep them for a couple of years and give them to a cousin at Xmas. Or, if you have a coin club in your area, there may be a YN who would appreciate them as a gift.

Chris

PS. You should know by now that most people haven't a clue about numismatics. The value or quality of the gift doesn't matter. It's the thought that counts!

My daughter always checks her change and everytime she finds a wheatie, she gives them to me. All have been common but I just put them in a box with the rest of them. As chris stated, it's the thought that counts. Some things just don't need to be worth more than $2.

Every year my parents go to the coin shop just before Chirstmas and get me presents, sometimes they are like your gift, like a plastic case with old buffalo nickel and new buffalo nickel, but sometimes they are pretty nice, like last year when they got me a set of 1963-D cent through half in a little plastic case, all BU. I don't know how much they paid for it, but I was pretty impressed with it. Bottom line, I keep all of them. They sit on my desk or get put in a little box or set on a shelf, but I hold onto them. And if I didn't want them, I'd probably sell them or give them away at the local coin club meeting.

Very well said, Chris. According to who the giver is, these gifts may become treasures. It couldn't hurt to have a small box to act as a keepsake. Treasure each gift from a friend or family member as they will not always be there. Nor will we.

What do you do with lousy coins that you receive as gifts? As an example I recently received 8 Indian Head cents from my aunt that are worth a total of about $2.00. It’s not worth my time to image and sell them and I don’t care to own them, so what should I do?

Grab a bottle of MS 70..... Quick lol

BWUAHAHAHAHAHA lol:applause:

I hate what some people use MS70 for, but THAT was funny! ..... :applause:

I agree that it is the thought that counts.As stated by an earlier poster there a loto fpeople that are not informed on Coins. etc.If the Aunt had found that $250,000 Comic Book in the attic and thought it was funny that somebody had left that "old" comic book there and showed you then ti would be a different story.

I guess I am simply not sentimental when it comes to gifts because I would likely give the coins away and ask the relative to refrain from a coin purchase as a gift in the future. One Christmas my mother bought for me a colorized American Silver Eagle from QVC and I told her outright never to do anything like that again and gave her the silver eagle to either return for a refund or to keep for herself. She returned the coin for a refund.

That’s a funny story Tom.

To be more clear, these were not coins which she had specifically purchased for me. These were part of a large collection of coins that she was trying to give me when I visited her in Oklahoma over this past long weekend. I graciously turned down as much as I could without hurting her feelings. She seemed to really want to give me these Indian Head cents and I accepted them because I felt I would hurt her feelings if I did not. A number of the cardboard holders read $.20 or $.15. Presumably she bought them some time ago although I don’t believe they have appreciated much.

I agree, it was a nice gesture on her part.

My relatives also think a colorized silver eagle is the ultimate gift you can give someone who collects coins. If they seem interested I explain about the "grading" of a coin, and tell them I love proof sets, the older the better and duplicate sets are great. But for the average person a proof set is an out of the way gift, they aren't at the mall, and walmart doesn't stock them.

If you happen to see her children/grandchildren you might share the coins with them.