• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NT or AT?

45 posts in this topic

I would have to imagine that this piece, if accurately imaged, had some sort of help along the way. Also, keep in mind that this is not silver bullion purity of 0.999, but is silver coin purity of 0.900.

I would have to imagine that this piece, if accurately imaged, had some sort of help along the way. Also, keep in mind that this is not silver bullion purity of 0.999, but is silver coin purity of 0.900.
That I did not know Tom.. hm

I'd need to know the intent of the owner during the period of time it toned to make an AT/NT decision. :shrug:

However, I will say that this coin has clearly had some help to get it to look so colorful.

I'd need to know the intent of the owner during the period of time it toned to make an AT/NT decision. :shrug:

Funny lol , but it is true that many people include this in their AT/NT decision...

Yes Intent is important but the date of this coin is more important.....I don't know any modern storage methods that would produce that type of toning in such a short time so clearly it was either kept in an environment that sped up the toning process or heat and chemicals were added................either way it's AT.

Well PCGS thinks NT or MA

Teletrade

I'm sorry, but under no circumstances should PCGS certify that horror. It's an embarrassment!

Even if they know for a fact that the coin acquired that hideous appearance from normal storage, it should not be slabbed.

Teletrade

I'm sorry, but under no circumstances should PCGS certify that horror. It's an embarrassment!

Even if they know for a fact that the coin acquired that hideous appearance from normal storage, it should not be slabbed.

Why not? If it is genuine then it should be certified. If you dont like the color then just dip it. Or would that be considered intentional AT?

I'm sure this had help with it's toning for sure. I don't know of any storage that would tone this coin in 6 yrs. on both sides. (except for maybe a taco bell napkin) haha

I have a Morgan Silver Dollar with almost identical toning that I know is bag toned and it probably took 40 years or more to accomplish......how could that happen naturally to a coin in 6 years........you decide hm

:popcorn:

1880SRaw.jpg

As I said in the post, I sure wish I knew how they did this-as it made a $350 coin into a $975 on Teletrade. Evidently, this type toning doesn't bother PCGS.

2001PBuffobv.jpg

Teletrade

Why not? If it is genuine then it should be certified. If you dont like the color then just dip it. Or would that be considered intentional AT?

...or, if they do slab this coin, then they should slab ALL the AT coins that come through the door.

My point is the inconsistency. If you're going to slab AT coins, then ALWAYS slab them, not just be random about it.

As I said in the post, I sure wish I knew how they did this-as it made a $350 coin into a $975 on Teletrade.

Even better profit as it is only a $175 coin.

Teletrade

...or, if they do slab this coin, then they should slab ALL the AT coins that come through the door.

My point is the inconsistency. If you're going to slab AT coins, then ALWAYS slab them, not just be random about it.

That is my point also. ;)

Back in the day that toning would have dropped any coin a couple of points.

What has happened to the world? I just can't go on.

Actually both extremes concerning toning are wrong. Very pretty toning always did help to sell coins the knowledgeable collectors. The trouble is most collectors “in the day” did not spend insane premiums for such material.

Then a fair number of people, who knew what they doing, and more who did not, created the current insane market for toned coins. That is led to cottage industry of coin doctors, with wildly diverse levels of expertise, who are creating a selling “monster toning” to the lemmings. The big problem is that a lot of coins are being ruined forever in the process.

I’ve ceased to try to educate the toning fanatics about the errors of their ways. Some of them have such poor taste that they can’t tell attractive from ugly. They will post pictures, more often across the street and ask, “Is this a beautiful coin?” when the piece is question, natural or artificial, ranges for ordinary to shockingly ugly. They will pay huge premiums for very common coins because of toning that often is not at all impressive.

Like all cycles, this too will pass, and those who spent their money unwisely with will definitely be sadder, but in some cases not wiser.

I couldn't agree more Bill. Well stated and an accuarate observation. Thanks for verbalizing my thoughts. :)

I have a Morgan Silver Dollar with almost identical toning that I know is bag toned and it probably took 40 years or more to accomplish......how could that happen naturally to a coin in 6 years........you decide hm

:popcorn:

1880SRaw.jpg

Shane, I don't consider myself an expert on Morgans or bag toned Morgans, but I've seen more than a few in my collecting travels. To wit, I've never seen a bag toned morgan toned such as the above, and looking at the toning pattern I suspect that coin was toned in an envelope, not a bag. Yet you say that you "know" this is bag toned and probably took more than 40 years. As a result I'm rather confused. Would you care to address this? Thanks in advance...Mike

Well let me clearify a bit....I believe the coin spent time in a bag....40 years was a guess as it could have been 5 ...10......15....years for all I know (thumbs u

And then I believe it was placed in an album or envelope as it has characteristics of both Bag toning and Album/Envelope toning. I know that this is very common to run across but I should have been more clear as I believe that a lot of the color on both sides was derived from the album/envelope. There are a few untoned spots on the reverse that look typical of bag toning whereby the coin stuck to the bag and when it was removed that toning stuck to the bag.

I think in a nut shell the clear as mud point of my post was........I am supremely confident that my morgan took many decades to tone the way it did so to find a coin from 2001 with a similar toning pattern/colors would be quite the stretch in terms of it being natural color.

There are a few untoned spots on the reverse that look typical of bag toning whereby the coin stuck to the bag and when it was removed that toning stuck to the bag.

I'm at a disadvantage in that photobucket is blocked for me at work and I can't see your picture, but I would like an explanation of this part. I've never heard of toning sticking to the bag.

Actually, to me, that Morgan does not have "almost identical toning". The Morgan looks much nicer to me than that Buffalo.