• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 Uncirculated Sets!

23 posts in this topic

So is anybody ordering these? I have a subscription for 3 sets. I buy the extras for my Danscos and I get an extra set for my wife's State Qtr book. If you don't have a subsc. They went on sale about 35 minutes ago.

I ordered 2, along with a FS bronze medal and just for kicks another FS unc 1/2 ounce gold coin, and ironically enough, the bronze medal was backordered, the mint sets were expected to ship 10/24 and the FS gold just says "In Stock." So I guess we'll see if they are really sold out or not!

Interesting thought... the coins in the US Mint Set are not business strike uncirculated coins. According to the Mint's catalog entry:

Uncirculated coins are struck on special presses using greater force than circulating coins, producing a sharp, intricately detailed image, and feature the satin finish introduced in 2005.

If you are collecting uncirculated business strikes, the Mint sets since 2005 have not included business strikes. If it does not matter, then there is no problem! :wishluck:

Scott :hi:

I quit buying the "new" Mint Sets. There are too many "perfect" coins in them. I'll stick to the business strikes. They're fun to search.

Chris

I quit buying the "new" Mint Sets. There are too many "perfect" coins in them. I'll stick to the business strikes. They're fun to search.

Chris

Yes, I hate nice coins too. I'd rather have mine all dinged up. :insane:

Chris

Yes, I hate nice coins too. I'd rather have mine all dinged up. :insane:

Even though I have made no attempt to sell them, I have 22 - MS68's from quarter, half dollar and dollar bags of business strikes. If you look at the Census for any date/mm coin, business strike vs. SMS, which has the lower population? If you look at prices realized, I think you'll find that most any MS68 business strike can easily sell for more than most any MS69 SMS coin of the same denomination, date & mm. So, I don't mind looking through the coins with dings.

If you buy a $250 bag of Sac's for $320 from the Mint, you can pay for the whole bag with 2 or 3 MS68's. I got 14 out of one bag, and I still have 30 more that I set aside from that bag to compare with those already graded.

Chris

Well if you look the 2006 set is still for sale.

I buy them just to keep my set current.

I will never forget buying the 2001 UNC Set and selling for a BIG profit!!

I also sold my 1999 Silver Proof Set and later wished I had to back.

Thanks SchatzyJr

I'm waiting to buy mine since I just made a big order on Aug 30. I just hope the decision doesn't burn me like in 2005.

I was waiting to order them and, all of a sudden, they were sold out!

But Chris Machuga, the stand-up~coolest of cool~ awesome of awesome guy that he is sent me two sets of the '05. I sent him a check but he sent the check back (something about my money is no good :þ ~ I don't know if he is accusing or complementing me) and said they were a Christmas present.

Random acts of kindness is such a cool thing. Kind of gives a man warm-fuzzy feelings all over. :)

Thanks again, Chris. I haven't forgotten your kindness...nor your insults...nor your jests...nor your....ad infinatum! :luhv:

I got my sets today and I like them. One set is already broken down and in my Dansco album's. The edge lettering on the Presidential dollars varies. On my Denver set they were all in one direction and the Philly set they were mixed two one way and two the other.

I wonder how these will tone if we leave them in the cardboard boxes they came in? If they will tone any at all.

I wonder how these will tone if we leave them in the cardboard boxes they came in? If they will tone any at all.

Probably the same way the Sac's did..............they look like the color of the water in a sewage treatment holding tank.

Chris

I just got my 3 sets today. Opened one set. I have to agree that these look very nice. I believe with being SMS is why they look much better than the business strikes. The lettering is much clearer although the same process of up and down lettering will be the same. I'll be breaking open 2 of these for my dansco's and my wife's Qtr. dansco.

Has anyone opened a set of these yet? Was wondering if they are still divided individually in plastic once you take the cardboard cover off..

Ok, well I just cut a set open. They sit in thier own little spot there. When I cut them out, the plastic lifts up and the coins are just sitting in the little cubby hole and will drop right out.