• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on Photographing Coins - Neat Light Diffusion Technique

15 posts in this topic

Apologize if this has been posted before. I don't know how old the article is, but I was trying to figure out how to get good light on coins for photographing them and found this. The problem I have is that it seems I get shadows or glare unless the light is directly above the coin, but then the camera also needs to be directly above the coin--between my light source and the coin which doesn't work because the camera itself (and my big head) creates shadows too. This article suggests a cheap and neat way to bring in bright light from all manner of angles that will be properly diffused so as not to cause some of the problems I've had. I won't have the stand or camera mount this guy has, but I can't wait to try a cheapskate version of it.

Camera Works: Photo Essay | Photographing Coins?–Got Milk? By Frank Van Riper (Washington Post)

That looks like it's worth a shot. If it works, it sure beats paying $200 for one of those big diffusion domes. Storage space is another issue for me with one of those things.

The only thing I saw that I would not need is the clear plastic base to do away with the shadow around the outside of the coin. I just use a photo editor to cut just the coins surface and paste it onto whatever background I want....

I like the milk jug idea. Gonna try it with my OTT lights....

MM

Diffusion domes work pretty well but not for all types of coins. I found it works much better for proofs and circulated pieces than for showing coins with vibrant luster.

I've tried the dome and trans-lucent fabric tent. It may just be me, but I find that it does not show luster, color and makes the coin look flat and unappealing

I have also tried the milk jug method. It's ok on proofs as mention but still takes away the darkness when photographing proofs with regular lights. Circulated are hard to get the luster from this method also. Here are 2 pics I took. The first was under a milk jug, and the second was what I took under my OTT lights.

SEundermilkjug-1.jpg

2007SilvereagleProof-1.jpg

Bobby, the second pics are most definitely the best.

p.s. I'm pleased that you've stuck around on the boards! (thumbs u So many people come and go so it's good to see you around and contributing so much to the boards.

:acclaim:

Why does her left hand look distorted - as though she were waving "Hi" to another driver on the New Jersey Turnpike?

Bobby, the second pics are most definitely the best.

p.s. I'm pleased that you've stuck around on the boards! (thumbs u So many people come and go so it's good to see you around and contributing so much to the boards.

:acclaim:

thank ya sir. I won't be going anywhere. Just have to take small breaks every now and then to catch up on life!! lol

I just tried it for the first time, and, while far from ideal, it definitely made a difference/helped. I know that the two Proof coins below would have given me fits previously. And although these images leave much to be desired, even my initial attempts produced less unacceptable results than I would have otherwise achieved.

cent1884.jpg

nickel1880.jpg

In my experience, diffused lighting isn't all that useful for coins, but if you like your results, go for it. It might be useful for keeping glare off of "problem" slabs, but well-placed regular lighting is probably better.

For newcomers to the board, perhaps you'll find this article useful:

What You Need to Know: Online Resource Review: Coin Photography Technique