• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interested in sending coins in for conservation RESULTS NOW IN !

28 posts in this topic

Hi all .. & thanks to you all for your interest in these posts .. I hope you have found them interesting and informative..

i have thought on how to display the Pictures and information and i think i will do it over a few posts so any questions on particular coins can more easily linked..

I am posting the unconserved Obv first followed by conserved Obv then moving on to the rev..

First off i would like to thank NCS for the work they have put in on this eclectic group of coins.. i would liked to have heard the response when they opened the package lol

Once i have listed the coins i would like your comments on which you think are worth grading through NGC or worth having Genuine encapsulating.. and a guess on the grade of the unconserved coin and the grade of the conserved coin

And of course any other comments !!!!

PS. i am planning a USA conservation post next so keep your eyes open..

I am starting with coin number one on the submission

Which is a Perambulation token from the Duke of northumberland 1836..

Unconserved Obv:

NCSDukeofnorthumberland.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSDuke.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSDukeofnorthumberlandr.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSDukerev.jpg

Coin two is A trade token from William Davidson Alwnick

Unconserved Obv:

NCSDavisonalnwick.jpg

conserved Obv:

NCSA.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSDavisonalnwickr.jpg

Conserved rev:

NCSAr.jpg

NEXT Two to follow

NEXT COINS

Coin 3 1883 UK Young head Victoria penny

Unconserved Obv:

NCS1883r.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSVIC.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCS1883.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSVICs.jpg

Coin 4 Victor 1979 50th Anniversary (limited to 100 minted)

Unconserved Obv:

NCSWallsend.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSVr.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSWallsendr.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSV.jpg

MORE to Follow !!!!

NEXT TWO

Coin 5 Detector found Rosa America penny 1723

Unconserved Obv:

NCSRosaAmerica.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSG.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSRosaAmericar.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSGr.jpg

Coin 6 Mint edge error and date error 1/5 Sol Peru

Unconserved Obv:

NCSPeur.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSVEN.jpg

Unconserved Rev

NCSPerur.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSVENr.jpg

Unconserved Date error

NCSPeru43.jpg

Conserved Date error

NCSVENd.jpg

Hope you are not sick yet :applause:

More to follow ::::::::::

God yet more will it ever end lol

Coin 7 $2.50 Esqdos Portugal 1937

Unconserved Obv:

NCSPortugal.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSPORT.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSPortugalr.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSPORTr.jpg

Coin 8 Groat (4p) Queen Mary 1554-1558 hammerd coin

Unconserved Obv:

NCSPM.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSPM-1.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSPMr.jpg

Conserved Rev

NCSPMr-1.jpg

Only two more to go :luhv:

Finally the last and the oldest of the coins in the submission

Coin 9 King Edward VI Shilling (5p) UK hammered coin

Unconserved Obv:

NCSEdward.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSP.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSEdwardr.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSPr.jpg

Coin 10 Corieltauvi tribe Silver Unit 1st century BC (Vep Corf)

Unconserved Obv:

NCSVEP.jpg

Conserved Obv:

NCSVEP-1.jpg

Unconserved Rev:

NCSVEPr.jpg

Conserved Rev:

NCSVEPr-1.jpg

Well that's it what do you think of the results ... all comment welcome

all the best dooly :devil:

Other than the Peru and the Edward VI Shilling, I like the afters better. The Peru looks a little cleaned and the Edward VI Shilling looks unnatural.

Nice finds and nice job of conservation dooly. :headbang: How old is the King Edward the VI coin? Pretty cool.

Thanks for the nice comments .. the Eddy is the fine silver issue 1551-1553 so its about 454 years old

Quote:-

The FSI "This high grade silver issue of good quality and style was extremely popular. struck at the tower mint, it has superb portrait of the boy king on the Obv and the royal arms on the Rev. however it was struck alongside the base issue thus producing two standards of coins. this was mainly due to the fact that many of the members of the council that governed the country until Edward became of age had an interest in keeping the base coinage in production because it was so profitable. the king himself was in fact instrumental in restoring the coinage."

COLLECTING HINTS

Edward VI fine silver shillings are fairly common, usually available in about fine condition but sometimes scratched or holed. examples in VF and even EF condition exist and are very desirable, Compared to the contemporary base issues, these coins are superb with clear design and legible legends.

so what do you recon on this coins grade ?

NCS did a great job on all but one. The last one did not need conservation and I like the before coin better than the conserved one. Thanks for sharing these with us. The wax did a great job of conserving the Rosa America penny. If only it covered the full surface of the coin! :)

NCS did a great job on all but one. The last one did not need conservation and I like the before coin better than the conserved one. Thanks for sharing these with us. The wax did a great job of conserving the Rosa America penny. If only it covered the full surface of the coin! :)

yes i wish the wax had been all over the coin it may have been gradable (thumbs u

My personal opinions

Coin one The conservation resulted in a mottled appearance that the unconserved coin did not have. I think this coin could have used a little Blue Ribbon to remove grime without affecting the color. I do not find this conservation acceptable.

Coin two Good job of grime removal, apparently lightly rubbed which lightened the tops of the letters creating a two tone effect which is attractive. Borderline acceptable because I like the final results but not the rub that created it.

Coin three Acceptable but I'm not sure conservation was really needed on this coin. The lighter color is more attractive though.

Coin four Acceptable, but it would have been hard to hurt this piece and it did need the conservation because it was probably just going to get worse.

Coin five This was a disaster. Yes the foreign substance on the reverse needed to be removed, and the coin was corroded but now it looks badly stripped and is much uglier than it was. This conservation was a total failure.

Coin six Another failure it now looks exactly like what it is, a stripped circulated silver coin. This coin looked better before conservation.

Coin seven Again another stripped coin, but this time the after looks a little better than the stained mottled before image. Barely acceptable.

Coin eight Did not need conservation , now looks lightly stripped but not disturbingly so. Barely acceptable conservation.

Coin nine This was a nice coin that did not need anything done to it. Now it is an obviously stripped coin. Unacceptable.

Coin ten seems to have either no change or the highlights were slightly darkened which improved it slightly (although that could be a difference in the lighting of the photography.) Acceptable but unneeded.

Final score

Three acceptable (but not needed on two of them.)

Three barely acceptable but no real improvement

Four unacceptable

Overall a 10 - 30% success rate. I'm not impressed.

First off, thanks dooly for a very informative post. I appreciate the effort of presenting the before and afters.

So would coin 4 grade? How about the copper penny? Probably not worth it, but would they get through NGC?

I would think that if NCS conserved coins and the same coins be submitted to NGC, that NGC would grade these coins. Is this not the case?

My personal opinion:

coin 1 and 2: I like the original ones.

coin 3: conserved is better

coin 4: conserved better

coin 5: conserved better

coin 6: conserved better

coin 7: over-conserved, resulting while-grey color, I like lightly toned color better.

Actually, it may not be fair to compare newly conserved coin with the original one, because the

conserved coin will gain some toning after a while and may look much better.

coin 8: not much difference

coin 9: original better

conclusion: only conserve ugly but not deeply toned coins

Thanks for opinion (thumbs u

My personal opinions

Coin one The conservation resulted in a mottled appearance that the unconserved coin did not have. I think this coin could have used a little Blue Ribbon to remove grime without affecting the color. I do not find this conservation acceptable.

This coin looks way better to me than the gunk but i have not heard of Blue ribbon before and never seen a coin treated with it THIS ONE WILL BE SENT TO NGC

Coin two Good job of grime removal, apparently lightly rubbed which lightened the tops of the letters creating a two tone effect which is attractive. Borderline acceptable because I like the final results but not the rub that created it.

This token has not treated as well as i hoped it would but the gunk was so thick it was imposable to tell what was under it THIS ONE WILL NOT BE SENT TO NGC.

Coin three Acceptable but I'm not sure conservation was really needed on this coin. The lighter color is more attractive though.

I think this has improved the coin hugeley but has shown up some "bobbling" on the Obv AND WILL NOT BE SENT TO NGC

Coin four Acceptable, but it would have been hard to hurt this piece and it did need the conservation because it was probably just going to get worse.

Stunning bit of work THIS WILL BE SENT TO NGC

Coin five This was a disaster. Yes the foreign substance on the reverse needed to be removed, and the coin was corroded but now it looks badly stripped and is much uglier than it was. This conservation was a total failure.

I new this coin would never grade and i am very pleased with the results and it is a lot darker in the hand NOT GOING TO SENT TO NGC

Coin six Another failure it now looks exactly like what it is, a stripped circulated silver coin. This coin looked better before conservation.

totally agree NOT GOING TO NGC

Coin seven Again another stripped coin, but this time the after looks a little better than the stained mottled before image. Barely acceptable.

Love this coin now and it looks so much better in the hand now GOING TO NGC

Coin eight Did not need conservation , now looks lightly stripped but not disturbingly so. Barely acceptable conservation.

looks way better now and WILL BE GOING TO NGC

Coin nine This was a nice coin that did not need anything done to it. Now it is an obviously stripped coin. Unacceptable.

This coin is no ware neer as light as the scan makes out and now looks stunning GOING TO NGC

Coin ten seems to have either no change or the highlights were slightly darkened which improved it slightly (although that could be a difference in the lighting of the photography.) Acceptable but unneeded.

this coin was sent to have the soil removed and that's just what they did GOING TO NGC

Final score

Three acceptable (but not needed on two of them.)

Three barely acceptable but no real improvement

Four unacceptable

Overall a 10 - 30% success rate. I'm not impressed.

My overall score 4 not going to NGC

6 Going

thanks for taking the time to comment. hope to have your comments on the USA lot i have just sent in for conservation

all the best dooly

First off, thanks dooly for a very informative post. I appreciate the effort of presenting the before and afters.

So would coin 4 grade? How about the copper penny? Probably not worth it, but would they get through NGC?

Cheers for the comments

Coin 4 the 1979 should grade not PF-70 but should not be to bad.

as for the vicky penny i have decided not to have it graded as there are some bobbels on the obv which could be pitting on the die but i am unsure as for the value if it hit EF it would be worth about $100 so i would say it would have been worth it..

(thumbs u

Thanks Wayne for the post and before and after images. Very informative and the opinions and thought of those commenting combined with the results are great.

A nice learning experience and education.

Rey

Cheers all glad you have all found this interesting i will post the results of the grading when i get them back.. PS check the USA ones i have sent in for conservation and grading .. and win some roman coins !!!!!

To my eye 3, 4 and 7 improved based on the photos. The rest I like the looks of in their pre-state much better. Sure, there is crust and dirt etc but the conserved results revelaed things like corrosion that the patina hid, or made the coins really look stripped. With the loss of patina there often goes a corresponding loss of personality. Sorry but just how I feel. Ignore me. I am nobody. :)