• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some photos of my coins up close…

16 posts in this topic

It didn’t take much to convert a piece of hardware I use to hook my camera to a telescope to fit my stereo microscope so why not, eh? hm

The technical stuff:

Both the camera lens and the microscopes eyepiece are removed so the DSLR camera can be directly connected to the microscope, the objective lens in the microscope is the only optical element magnifying and focusing the image for the camera. As in astrophotography this technique is referred to as “direct objective” and is used quite often. The image is 3.8 times larger than actual size at the chip and the field of view is .170” by .255”, (or 4.3mm x 6.5mm for you metric thinking folks).A single 60 watt soft white light bulb is used for illumination and the images were processed in PS Elements 2.0.

The photos:

Starting with a couple of eagles:

1915-qtr-eagle.jpg

1829-Half-Dime.jpg

This one is sorta spooky…

1927-Double-Eagle.jpg

Some kind of doubling on a 1964 proof quarter:

1964-quarter.jpg

Liberty’s shield on a 1839-O dime:

1839-O-half-dime.jpg

To get the whole boat of a proof 2004 Keel Boat Nickel required four images merged together…

Boat.jpg

If you would like to get your DSLR to fit on a microscope let me know, I can help you an adaptor to make it work.

Great photos, Paul! The '64 Proof 25c isn't listed in the CPG. You might want to send it to CONECA for attribution.

Chris

There's a lot of things not in the CPG. Those are some great photos, really impressive.