• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FT on the Roosevelt Dimes?

16 posts in this topic

*I disagree with PCGS, in assigning this designation to both Mercury Dimes & Roosevelt Dimes

Full Bands

Term applied to Mercury (Winged Liberty Head) dimes when the central band is fully separated (FB). There can be no disturbance of the separation. Also applicable to Roosevelt dimes that display full separation in both the upper and lower pair of crossbands on the torch.

*NGC's explanation is very vague.

FT = Full Torch

These distinctions may seem esoteric to the beginning collector, but they play a significant role in providing a more complete description, and thus they are essential in the coin grading process

* I totally agree with this designation FSB

'Full Split Bands' - Mercury Head US Silver dimes minted between 1916 and 1947 may receive the attribute FSB, Full Split Bands. On the reverse of the dime are some horizontal bands that hold the 'sticks' together. These sets of "bands" are visible, and when fully struck they are separated and rounded. FSB indicates that the bands are fully struck and fully separate. Only well struck coins will exhibit this. Full Split Band uncirculated mercury head silver dimes are rarer than normal band coins. Some dates and mint marks FSB mint condition dimes will sell at a premium if truly FSB.

In truth, I don't like any of the current strike designations given to coins by the TPGs. This includes FT, FB, FS, FH and FBL as well as any other F(something) that I might have forgotten. These designations typically refer to a very small part of the coin, perhaps only 2% of the surface area, yet the market may value certain issues with the designation at wildly elevated prices.

As an example, I have seen hundreds of FB and FT Mercs and Roosevelts that were not generally well struck coins, yet they would likely have a basal value much higher than an otherwise well struck coin of the same issue that lacked that specific detail.

As an example, I have seen hundreds of FB and FT Mercs and Roosevelts that were not generally well struck coins, yet they would likely have a basal value much higher than an otherwise well struck coin of the same issue that lacked that specific detail.

You see it even more with SLQs. IMO, if someone the market should decide if a coin is worth a premium for strike instead of setting a bottom end price by putting a designation on the slab.

jom

Just wait, there is a segment of the Susie B. collectors that are pushing for Full Talon as a designation. I like it, and will only collect FT Susies, just like I like FBL Frankies, but I agree, there are limitations to the designations. Grease clogging a die can eliminate an otherwise superb strike.

The designations from what I see represent the high points to coins that would easily distinguish circulation wear for that type coin. FT is no different that FB,FBL,FH, FT, etc... Morgans reference breast feathers, and so on. I don't see any problem with having some type of wear reference for peticular coins.

The designations from what I see represent the high points to coins that would easily distinguish circulation wear for that type coin. FT is no different that FB,FBL,FH, FT, etc... Morgans reference breast feathers, and so on. I don't see any problem with having some type of wear reference for peticular coins.

High points on the coin are also the last parts to fill in during the strike. On most coins these details simply never fill in.

These designations have essentially nothing to do with wear, but they are focused on metal flow during striking for very small portions of the coin. A coin can have an incredibly mushy strike, but may still have the designation, and this implies it is worth more than an otherwise superbly struck coin that lacks detail in one or more small areas.

I do not favor any strike designations because I believe that there are those folks who actively search out well struck coins and will pay for them, if need be.