• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a genuine 1922 "plain" Lincoln Cent?

21 posts in this topic

I'm not inclined to make a judgement based on those pictures. At the very least, the coin looks to have been cleaned or has had something applied to the surface to give it that funky color.

The area below the date looks a bit strange to me.

Maybe just the image but that area has a different color.

It also has a blurry looking haze in that same spot.

I'm thinking it had a bit of photo shop help.

Of course it is......It's slabbed !!!

But seriously, the 'L' of LIBERTY appears (at least in the lousy photo) to be distinctly apart from the rim. This is not allowed on 22 P's....

Paul

The coin has definitely been messed with.
In what way?

I might even go so far as to say mintmark removed. The area under the date looks a lot smoother, if you look at the rest of the fields there are (normal) marks and dings, showing circulation. But the important area appears conspicuously Mark Free (Mark Feld's cousin).

But that wouldn't happen, because WCCS slabbed it. I think it must therefore be good :devil:

I suspect that it has had the D mint mark removed.

The reverse looks too strong for this to be a true no D. The date also doesn't "look" like it should.

However, the pictures suck and it is impossible to see the other common diagnostics for this coin.

This is an early die state for a "weak D" variety that has been helped by having the mintmark remnants shaved off. It's too bad, because now, it's worth about a dollar. Had it been left alone, it might have been worth $50 or so.

for me the biggest problem is what appears to be crator where a D may have been. The area looks to have a completely different surface texture and color. This would be enough for me to stay away from this coin.

The strike on the obverse seems to be wrong for a Die Pair 2. The date is also wrong.

I have seen photos of mint state 1922 (D) Plains - Die Pair 2, and Lincoln has almost no detail. That's why this date is graded by the reverse only.

BTW, I this is the only date missing from my Lincoln date. It appears to me that Die Pair 2 was the victim of too much die polishing and, to me, is not worth it's current market premium.