• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updated 9-12 New Ebay policy? If you were running Ebay+had a clue about coins..

51 posts in this topic

If you were running Ebay AND had a clue about coins and certification, etc., which grading companies' grades would you allow to be included in sellers' listing titles?

Currently, in most cases, Ebay no longer allows grades of uncertified coins to be including in sellers' listing titles. Most unfortunately, however, they do allow grades of do-it-yourself-slabbers (which can be worse than uncertified coins, because some bidders don't realize the coins aren't independently graded) and all grading companies, no matter how highly respected or disrespected they might be.

If you were put in charge, which grading companies would you include in your "grades allowed in listing title" list and why?

Edited to add: See my most recent post to this thread about a possible change in Ebay policy regarding this subject....

All of them including the seller's own grade should be allowed. The seller of a "whatever grade you want" slab has every bit as much right to hype his coin as the seller of a NGC or PCGS coin. Hype is hype--as long as he delivers what he claims to be selling. What does need to be curtailed is the seller who claims a PCGS price guide quote for a non-PCGS coin--even if that coin is in a NGC holder.

Edit add...or claims of rarity based on NGC population reports when not selling a NGC coin.

If you were running Ebay AND had a clue about coins and certification, etc., which grading companies' grades would you allow to be included in sellers' listing titles?

Currently, in most cases, Ebay no longer allows grades of uncertified coins to be including in sellers' listing titles. Most unfortunately, however, they do allow grades of do-it-yourself-slabbers (which can be worse than uncertified coins, because some bidders don't realize the coins aren't independently graded) and all grading companies, no matter how highly respected or disrespected they might be.

If you were put in charge, which grading companies would you include in your "grades allowed in listing title" list and why?

I have reason to believe that eventually there will be such a list and your input might help. Thank you.

Me personally, I would have no restrictions at all. But I basically never have the grade as part of my search criteria.

I am not familiar with this rule change, does this mean if I am selling a raw coin, say a common Morgan that happens to be XF, I can't say that it's XF in the title of my listing??? That would seem just insane...

I am not familiar with this rule change, does this mean if I am selling a raw coin, say a common Morgan that happens to be XF, I can't say that it's XF in the title of my listing??? That would seem just insane...

From what I understand reading other posts, you can call the coin XF or you can even call it Gem BU, but you can't give it a numerical grade like XF40 or XF45. It still seems insane, doesn't it?

Mark,

I don't see how eBay could impose such a restriction and not be liable. Who's to say that any particular TPG remains a "reputable" grading firm in the future. More importantly who decides whether a TPG is reputable, the ANA?

What you could do, is say these are the TPGs that offer grading and authentication guarantees, and are in good standing with the ANA. Much like the AAA does.

Also whats the recourse if eBay decides NGC is no longer "acceptable", surely that would mean a huge hit to their business.

A little gendanken experiment as I'm fond of doing.

Assuming a policy of "certified coins can only be auctioned from a list of N grading firms." Where N is a definite number, determined by some process involving multiple business partners.

* If I thought a coin would sell better in a coinworld holder that I put my own logo on an insert with no representation of grade, would that be banned? What if I put the variety on said insert, does that get me banned?

* What if I put adjectival grading such as Superb Gem on the logo'd insert in my CW holder, does that get me banned.? If I describe a coin as Magnificent Jewel instead of Superb Gem, am I banned what about Really Nice Gem, or Superb Uncirculated Jewel.

* If a TPG uses adjectival grading, no grade but in a slab from one of the N acceptable graders?

* What about details grade slab, from a self described conservation company.

* Is the "first strike" label acceptable or is that an intentional misleading of the public, that should be banned as with other "falsely" graded coins.

* I have an inventory of CAC coins that I want to list on eBay that I hope to get a better price for. I list some coins CAC-A and CAC-B, I leave off the CAC-C as that might not get me a premium is that banned? Do I have to picture the CAC sticker?

* What about services that asses a value/opinion to a certified coin. Can I say my business is like CAC? Can I buy a seat on CAC and then make it ok on eBay.

The whole mess sounds like illegal restraint of trade to me. :baiting:

UNLESS - a regulatory comission is formed to approve/disapprove the grades on TPGs. Please note I'm NOT referring to the CAC - I'm talking about something with some teeth that has the help of the FTC.

Surely, you do not mean to tell me that the Ebay that we dearly love and trust-who could care less about a China seller auctioning 50 fake coins that they have been informed about, now all of a sudden are going to police the grading capabilities of non TPG sellers. Let me see, TPG allowed, NonTPG policed, I bet I can guess who thought up that guideline.

Fellas and ladies, methinks things are getting ready to become nearly unbearable in the very near future. We will have to apply for a permit to sell our wares. Maybe even a tax involved to. That would be cool. :pullhair:

One idea I had was that perhaps what we want is for some sort of "disclaimer" or "conflict of interest" claim to be added to listings when the seller is also an owner/grader/whatever of the grading companies the coins are in. This also seems good in that the information given will (or at least hopefully will) be strictly factual, rather than based on opinions of people who (at least in some extended sense) are likely competitors to the sellers. It would also be something that ebay could make actionable, such that if the owner of the slabbing company doesn't state that he is the one who owns the grading company, the listings could get removed.

(I am also a bit wary in basing this on rankings because, especially as can be seen from across the street, the number of "acceptable" slabbing companies can get more restrictive than even an anti-slab person as I would think would be right. I realize that the conflict of interest statement would not be a perfect solution, as not all n-th tier grading companies should really be called self slabbers.)

Hypothetically, what type of requirements should be considered?

An authenticity guarantee?

A grade guarantee?

A minimum number of years in business?

Does anyone here feel that self-slabbers should be included in an approved list?

Hypothetically, what type of requirements should be considered?

An authenticity guarantee?

A grade guarantee?

A minimum number of years in business?

Does anyone here feel that self-slabbers should be included in an approved list?

I'm not sure I'd require any of those. They might exclude real grading services.

Authenticity guarantee: Does PCGS have one? Someone used to complain that their guarantee didn't specifically address the authenticity of a coin. They're off the list.

Grade guarantee: NGC didn't used to guarantee copper. They're off the list.

Minimum number of years in business: ICG hasn't been around that long. They're off the list. It's also a new day at ANACS. They're off the list too.

Self-slabbers: Define self slabber. It is "known" that many of the sellers of coins in third world slabs get better grades thanks to their large submissions. They may not own the TPG, but there is a problem relationship, so do they become self slabbers? What about something like ACG. Doesn't Alan Hager claim not to own ACG as it is in his wifes name? If so, is he a self slabber?

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but coincidentally, this was posted this evening:

Changes in Ebay policy?

So what is so friggin' great about it? and no, I DON'T sell third world slabs. Nowhere does it say that self-slabbers can't peddle their wares--only that they can't call the coin certified. Most of the sellers I have seen don't call them certified coins now--merely graded by XYG grading company. Even if Ebay decides to include the term graded as well as certified it only means that the seller can't refer to the slab grade in the title--nothing says they can't in the body of the discription.

I just don't see how this helps. Of course, I don't see how making a seller show a pic of the slab helps me either. I already know what a slab looks like...I WANT TO SEE THE COIN!!!

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but coincidentally, this was posted this evening:

Changes in Ebay policy?

This has been in the works at eBay for probably 2 years. It basically matches everything I was privately told about a year ago with the only significant change was that NCS is now on the list. I suspect it has finally been implemented by eBay. Nice to see they work at the speed of light. :P

Too bad they left off ICCS which is a very solid TPG. ACCS should also be on the list.

Changes in Ebay policy?

This has been in the works at eBay for probably 2 years. It basically matches everything I was privately told about a year ago with the only significant change was that NCS is now on the list. I suspect it has finally been implemented by eBay. Nice to see they work at the speed of light. :P

Too bad they left off ICCS which is a very solid TPG. ACCS should also be on the list.

Boy, I wish they had this in place before I bought that UNC .

John

I can live with that group for now. Must hurt these company's selling do it yourself grading

products thats good.Wonder how long till they start to enforce the new rule wish I could hear

the screams some of these sellers will have empty pages or they will just go somewhere else and continue their fraud .

It's almost like eBay is schizo. They got the four companies that legitimately certify coins exactly right, but then they went off the deep end about numeric grades being acceptable only for certified coins. That definitely makes things worse in that now sellers can dance around the issue of grade when there's a disagreement with the buyer. In other words, I can now advertise a coin as "ultra uncirculated", and when it turns out to be only AU-55, the buyer has no recourse. As a seller, I can make up my own grades, now.