• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest purchase at my local coin show

14 posts in this topic

Well as you know, I'm interested in gold coin which is what I accumlate. I can't afford to "collect" them yet, in a sense of a series of gold coins.

Yesterday I went to my local coin show with $20 dollars to spend. I didn't find anything worth purchasing, and then I finally found something gold within in my price range. A gold pamp suisse gold bar, 1 gram.I orginally only intended to pay $20 for it but it was worth $22 melt (he wanted $25), I ended up paying $24 for it.

Here's some pictures of it...but there's one thing I noticed about it. There's what appears to be a flaw or hole in the gold bar design on the hair. I thought it was actually part of the design at first until my dad mentioned it and I found another image of a 5 gram gold bar of the same design that DOESNT have it. What do you think it is? I'm not worried about this, it's just unusual. If I had to guess though it's probably a flaw. I don't see how it cou ld be dirt since the package is sealed.

First, my gold bar:

GoldSUISSEBAROBVERSE.jpg

See the spot?

Here's the other side of it:

GoldSUISSEBARREVERSE.jpg

Here's another gold bar for comparison:

Pamp5gm.jpg

Hope you like it! Thanks for the opinions/comments.

That's pretty neat there stinky!

Thanks I'm glad you like it!. Now if I could figure out why this one is different from the others..

hm

They discovered that it was 1/1000th of a gram too heavy and they didn't want to waste the gold on someone with a name like stinkycheese. lol

Chris

They may have different markings for different gram sizes. Yours is one gram while the compared bar is 5 grams.

Maybe thats it. I'll have to check it out.

To the other posters: Yeah, I wish I would've changed my name to something else. I don't like 'stinkycheese', but then again when I signed up under this name I didn't think I would be allowed to post again, and I was. In real life I do like cheese though,especially stinky cheese like feta lol

thanks for the comments everyone i appreciate the support this forum has!! (worship)

EDITED: I looked at some 1 gram specimen gold bars and they do not have this defect hole/flaw in the center like mine does.

It might be a carbon spot. That is what I thought of when I first saw it. Or maybe the girl just wanted to wear some earrings, you know, so she would look special for stinky.

Haha, yeah it might be a carbon spot. I wish I would've found a better specimen. Man, I got a good deal! I paid $24 and these things are going for at least $26 on ebay!

Aren't carbon spots red though?

In some of the larger bars of bullion flaws sometimes indicate that the precious metal has been taken out of the middle and replaced with a non-precious metal.

It is unlikely somebody would have gone through the trouble for such a small amount of yellow.