• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long should it take to pay?

24 posts in this topic

I don't sell very much, so not sure what the time frame is norm for waiting for the winner of an auction to pay for the item. How long do some of you wait? My auction is set up to automatically send a Congragulations email and the link to please pay.

If folks pay by mail it could take ten days or so to receive payment, but if they pay electronically I would expect payment received in only a few days.

The proper etiquette for sellers before asking for payment is 7 days. Most all will pay you within 36 hours, but some bid and leave for the weekend or for vacation and don't check back for several days. I have asked within 3 or 4 days if their was a problem and usually get told 7 days is the proper time. I guess that is why you are seeing so many demanding immediate payment for their bids. Some newbies are actually buying in anticipation of something they are selling to provide funds for paying-whew! Good luck.

I pay within seconds unless i have to ask for postal costs..

in my last sale i had to wait 8 days before one of them paid

you also have to remember if someone has to move money from there bank account to there paypal account it can take 5-7 working days to clear

if i am doing that i usualy inform the seller..

I usually wait seven days then send them a reminder invoice with a note. If they are a repeat customer and still haven't paid I will try to contact them before starting a dispute.

It all depends on what you have indicated in the auction. I used to ask for payment within 10 days. However, I got tired of people paying by PayPal on day 10. That's not what I had intended. I intended 10 days to allow for checks to arrive in the mail.

Now I have:

Payment is required in a timely manner.

* PayPal: Within 5 calender days

* Check or Money Order: Within 7 calender days (10 days if originating from outside the US/Canada).

I feel that is more than enough time to let a buyer pay. If the buyer has contacted me or is known to me I don't really watch the number of days.

Most buyers pay with PayPal quickly or let me know they are sending a check. If not, I will send an eBay invoice on day 3-5. If no response, on day 10 after auction close, I file the NPB with eBay. Magically, the buyer almost always pay or contact me within a single day after this.

I pay everything at end of the night. There come cases where the seller has more things I'm interested in buying in a couple of days, then I let them know, what my intentions are.

John :)

I pay everything at end of the night. There come cases where the seller has more things I'm interested in buying in a couple of days, then I let them know, what my intentions are.

I go along with John. I pay immediately unless the seller has other auctions within the next 72 hours that interest me. Even at that, I will inform the seller right away.

I don't understand why someone would bid in an auction and, #1 - not have funds available to pay for the winning bid or, #2 - bid on something when they know they will not be available at the close of the auction. I'm sorry, but if I were a seller, this would irritate me.

Chris

Thanks all. I may be in the position to have to start selling some of my collection off and then trying to keep track of it all. I will probably make a note to pay at least within 7 days, that seems the norm I guess.

I guess I'm too lenient, but...

Invoices go out within 24 hours of auction close.

Second notices on day 10

Final warnings on day 17

NPB on day 21

Negative feedback on Day 30

95% of my buyers pay within a week, either via paypal or check/MO.

I try not to use gustafo tactics with auctions, since many eBay buyers are special needs. So I don't require that "payment _must_ be received in X days" in my auctions.

In almost 3,000 auctions, I've had a few dozen non-payers. I'm happy with 99.5% follow-through. ;)

gustafo tactics

I wouldn't want to be victim of any of those heheheh

Are those the Groucho Marx in a Tantrum Tactics OR

Did you mean Gestapo as in Nazi as it Real bad Germans tactics

:)

Just jazzin ya a bit buddy

gustafo tactics

I wouldn't want to be victim of any of those heheheh

Are those the Groucho Marx in a Tantrum Tactics OR

Did you mean Gestapo as in Nazi as it Real bad Germans tactics

:)

Just jazzin ya a bit buddy

:flamed:

Ooops - that's a pretty bad one. Yes, Gestapo tactics. lol

I don't make buy-it-nows pay immediately with paypal, I don't limit the buyers to three or five days when they can bid now and pay me Friday when they get paid, etc...

I'm another one that pays immediately after the close unless I'm looking at more items or trying requesting adjusted shipping/insurance rates with rare exception. I generally feel that you have no business buying unless you're willing and able to pay immediately. On the rare occasions when I've accidentally won an item where Paypal wasn't an option the check went into the mail the next day.

Last night I bid on an item around 10:30 PM that wasn't ending until 12:30. I went to sleep since I have an 8:00 AM class and woke up this morning to find that I'd won and the seller had ALREADY sent me an invoice about it that morning. I got the invoice at about 7:30 AM but I deliberately waited until 9:30 because I couldn't believe he'd sent me an invoice that early in the morning. Even so, he got his money only 9 hours after auction close. (Seriously, if you want immediate payment don't have the auction close at 12:30AM on Sunday night!)

It's also a bad idea to ask me for feedback. I logged in once to leave feedback and found the seller had sent me a message asking for feedback to be left. I made him wait another 24 hours on principle. Don't hassle me.

I do know that ebay has an option for sellers to autiomatically send an invoice after an auction. Also, I have bought from sellers that has one of those automated messages that go out after an auction, thanking you, yada yada, with an invoice. I don't believe in begging for feedback, but I don't think nothings wrong with the invoice being sent.Seller is probably just covering his butt!

I don't believe in begging for feedback, but I don't think nothings wrong with the invoice being sent.Seller is probably just covering his butt!

Yeah, but I'm cranky at 7:30 AM, especially on Monday/Wednesday/Friday because I don't like going to that class.

What's wrong with a seller sending an invoice? It's not like it's a threat or a dun. It's just an invoice. I have requested an invoice many times if the S/H or Insurance fees are not plainly set forth(of which many sellers do not do a good job). I never ask for feedback, if they are too lazy to press a button, asking them will probably insure none is given. I've even had sellers who didn't list the S/H fee tell me(when I requested that info) that it was according to how high their coin sold. Well, duh! Some people still bid, though not me. Many times the fees were reduced because the seller saw that I was a repeat customer. Go figure.

What's wrong with a seller sending an invoice? It's not like it's a threat or a dun. It's just an invoice. I have requested an invoice many times if the S/H or Insurance fees are not plainly set forth(of which many sellers do not do a good job). I never ask for feedback, if they are too lazy to press a button, asking them will probably insure none is given. I've even had sellers who didn't list the S/H fee tell me(when I requested that info) that it was according to how high their coin sold. Well, duh! Some people still bid, though not me. Many times the fees were reduced because the seller saw that I was a repeat customer. Go figure.

:jokealert: I was mostly commenting on the fact that he invoiced me at 7:30 AM.

Today I won a 1988 Olympic proof set for a seller on ebay( a long time buyer and a first time seller) and got a e-mail from her within a hour. I was expecting an invoice :

I may have charged you too much postage. (Although I've bought a lot, this is my first sale!!) I will refund your Paypal account if so. Thanks for buying this and I hope that you'll be pleased! Mary

- rws2929

I replied : When I buy something one ebay , I usually add shipping as part of the whole cost. Since I got it for less than the fair market value($175 total), that she need not gave me a discount.

Thank you. How honest!! Best of luck to you and you family. God bless. Mary

Sellers like this( and there are thousands of them) that communicate, is why I like to shop on ebay.

What's wrong with a seller sending an invoice?

I always send personalized invoices when the auction closes cause its one of the ONLY venues left that you can actually solicit the buyer for other goods for sale and not get censured by "Ebay Big Brother" for being a salesperson.

There are some good sellers and buyers out there. I also had a seller refund me back some of my s&h. I didn't even ask or know it until I checked my paypal. I sent an email and thanked him.