• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd submission results...

14 posts in this topic

So a couple weeks ago, I sent in two coins to NGC to be regraded, the first was a 1928 Saint (Registry Link) that was graded MS-64, that I still believe is undergraded, however the results posted today indicate that they still disagree and are sticking with the MS-64 grade. The other one was a 1911-D Saint (Registry link) that was graded MS-65 that I believed was overgraded, so I sent it in for an appearance review. So when the results were posted today, the new grade on this invoice was listed only as "MS." No number, no notes, nothing. So I called, and the kind woman at the other end could tell me nothing other than there would be a note etc. in the package when I receive it back, and if it was downgraded I would have to fill out more forms. So, I am dumbfounded about that one, has anyone else had an experience with a downgrade?

Never had one downgraded in an Appearance Review, so don't know what that is going to mean for you. Maybe it means that the coin did get downgraded and they need to get some more data to process it for payment???

when you send in a coin for an appearance review, do they just let you know if the grade should be lower or do they actually crack it out of its case and regrade it?

Mike

That is odd. I've sent in a few (only one of which I wanted downgraded). The ones I wanted worked on were and the grades were listed on the online status menu. The one I wanted downgraded didn't and the original grade was listed on the online status.

Well, I guess I'll find out when the box arrives. I do believe that the coin should be graded only MS-64 though. I guess on the bright side, it shows that early bird turnaround times are running less than 10 business days, as these arrived on the 30th.

Mike-I actually don't know what the process is for an appearance review. I think for a regrade (i.e. for upgrade) they crack it and treat it like a raw submission.

I had a Peace Dollar come back "MS" from one of the services several years ago (it came out of a PCI MS63 Holder). I do not remember if it was NGC or PCGS that graded it. They would not assign a grade to it, so it was net-graded MS.

Well, the box arrived today with no note at all, but I guess there was really no need, since the 11-D came back in a new holder with the exact same grade and the original serial number! So I guess this was all just a wasted exercise, except that I got both coins re-holdered.

I still disagree with the grades, but is just shows how different and subjecting standards can be between dates. The 1928 is very common, with 9,752 graded MS-64, and 3,375 graded MS-65, so the hurdle is just a lot higher. The 1911-D has only 2,591 graded 64, and 1,507 graded 65. I know I can't really draw this conclusion based only on those numbers, but knowing this series, I can tell you it's a lot harder to find a really gem 11-D than a 28!

I just sent in three PCGS coins for crossover. They are listed on the web site as having been graded and shipped out, but only one of them has a grade listed (unchanged from prior), and the other two are just listed as 'MS'.

I just sent in three PCGS coins for crossover. They are listed on the web site as having been graded and shipped out, but only one of them has a grade listed (unchanged from prior), and the other two are just listed as 'MS'.

I think that means they didn't cross. I seem to recall something like that on one of my previous submissions and when I got the coins back they had stickers explaining why they didn't cross.

It could be worse, I've got 2 invoices stuck in Quality Control limbo since last Thursday. The other 2 invoices (same service tier) went thru QC in 1 day. My hands are shaking waiting for my grades. I'm starting to hear voices in my head. I need my grades... insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

I can tell you it's a lot harder to find a really gem 11-D than a 28!

There was a REAL nice 11-D in the Heritage sale as I recall. I don't remember the grade off-hand but it was the "D/D" variety. I didn't care much about the variety but the coin was pretty nice...so much so that I remember marking it in my catalog during lot viewing.

jom

I looked at that coin in the catalog and on the web, but it didn't strike me as something I couldn't live without.

As for the MS, on my past submissions for crossovers, the MS indicated they didn't cross, but for this last one, the MS meant nothing, as the coin came back with its same original grade with a new holder.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Without a numerical grade, MS means simply that the coin is not a proof. The grading screen requires that either MS, PF or SP be entered, but a circulated coin will print out with the appropriate alpha abbreviation on the label.