• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photography: Having The Right Lens Is HUGE ...

15 posts in this topic

... so, I bought a new fairly high-end set-up to shoot my coins with: Nikon D40x, Tamron 90mm Macro, portable mini photo studio w/ two Halogens. And, even with my considerable experience with underwater photography (I have sold quite a few pics to Scuba mags) I still couldn't get a shot of a coin that was worth a . I could gear up and get a crisp colorful shot of a nudibranch @ 250ft while swaying in a 3 knot current, but every tripod-based coin shot looked fuzzy with whacked color. So, I ordered a new lens that just arrived, an AFS Micro Nikkor 105mm, and the difference is HUGE ... even with a hand held shot using no special lighting. As soon as it showed up, I grabbed a beat-up old half-cent with some funky coloring and gunk in the cracks, threw it on the desk, and took a hand held shot of it and all that I could say is WOW, what a difference the lens makes.

Now, I am going to have to go back and reread Mark Goodman's website and see what this baby can really do ...

Here is my handheld test shot ...

test.jpg

Nice shot indeed! :applause:

Congrats on your cool buy, Nikkor lenses perform so well, all of your shots will be sharp…

A macro lens on a DSLR is the way to go if you have a digital SLR to snap the Macro on.

I use a 100mm macro on my Pentax DSLR, the longer focal length keeps the lens far enough to get good lighting on the coin and a little breathing room. The macro lens I have is a used manual Pentax model, nice glass and I only use it for coin photos so I don’t mind it having to work with the manual settings, once I'm dialed in, only have to change the coins in front of it.

Did you get the new VR 105 or the older one?

Candidly, I'm skeptical that you were doing something wrong (handholding?) if this lens is that much better than the Tamron 90, which is a very good lens in its own right.

Regardless, I'm happy you're starting to get the results that please you. Can't wait to see new pics of your wonderful collection....Mike

Did you get the new VR 105 or the older one?

Candidly, I'm skeptical that you were doing something wrong (handholding?) if this lens is that much better than the Tamron 90, which is a very good lens in its own right.

The new VR 105 ...

I started to think that I must have been doing something wrong with the Tamron as well ... however, I tried everything and the pics still looked horrible. Maybe I just had a bad lens ...

:)

The Tamron 90 is almost as good as the 105 VR. The problem may have been because the Tamron lens can only be focused manually on the D40x. Even so, the 105 VR is an excellent lens. Put a TC on it and go further in.

The new VR 105 ...

I started to think that I must have been doing something wrong with the Tamron as well ... however, I tried everything and the pics still looked horrible. Maybe I just had a bad lens ...

:)

Nice choice. Mine doesn't have the VR and mounted on the heavy D200, a tripod is a must.

Re the Tamron, even a lens with a good pedigree can have a lemon slip through QC from the factory. Or something might have gotten out of whack through use. Sometimes such problems only show up under certain conditions, such as macro mode. Bottom line: you saw what you saw and the Nikon is delivering the goods.

Check my post, "New Forum Suggestion," in the Numismatic Tangents section asking for a separate forum on photography and imaging. We might get one if there's enough positive reader response, so let the webmasters know if you'd like to see that happen.

Fletcher,

In short, if you were handholding the Tamron, this would likely be the reason why you were not getting the results, at least from a sharpness perspective, you were looking for.

A few suggestions, if I may:

1) If you don't have one, get a tripod or a copy stand. Although the VR in your lens (apparently) makes taking handheld macro shots possible, I think you will find even sharper results if you get a good tripod or copy stand. While I've not used the new 105 VR, I know it was the case for my 70-200VR.

2) Turn off AF and manually focus. AF on slabbed coins in particular, is problematic. You will get better results if you learn how to focus manually and pay attention to depth of focus (i.e. aperature).

3) Consider a "RAW" workflow with custom white balance. Better pictures will result.

4) Read Mark's articles. There is a great deal of wisdom and experience in them and his results speak for themselves.

5) Learn your camera. Buy this book: http://www.bythom.com/d40guide.htm It is the manual that should have come with your camera.

6) Experiment. Light type and placement are the primary variables, but aperature, white balance, and even post-processing will all play roles in how good a photograph will be.

7) Repeat step 6.

Have fun...Mike

hm Could be. As for what's causing the weird color, I would doubt it was the lens...

Regardless, I'm glad to hear you're happy with the new lens, and I eagerly await even better pictures of your coins. Take care...MIke